all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs calendar to display nth weekay in month, e.g. every 3rd Wednesday
@ 2015-01-11 20:03 Michael Eliachevitch
From: Michael Eliachevitch @ 2015-01-11 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

There are several events for me each month which take place for example
on the 3rd Wednesday or on the first Tuesday of each month. Is there
some way to add them to my diary file, so that they will be added to the
list of diary entries and displayed in the calendar for all dates to
which this rule applies?

Maybe there is already some functionality to do this, but I haven't
found it yet. At least it's justnot  a simple regex on the date. If
there is something like this, I would like to know.

I am actually a newbie when it comes to programming in emacs lisp. I
have just started this week. I managed to create a function that checks
if a date is for example a 3rd Wednesday, but I am still not sure how to
combine it with the diary. I would have to implement some special syntax
for entering it into the diary file and add some regexes for that and
should study the diary code more... I still haven't figured out how
entries are added to the diary-entries-list.

So if somebody who knows the emacs calendar could provide some help or
hints, I would be really thankful.

Greetings,
Michael

* Re: Emacs calendar to display nth weekay in month, e.g. every 3rd Wednesday
@ 2015-01-11 20:37 ` Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-01-11 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Eliachevitch; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I accomplish this using Org-mode agenda for all my calendaring (highly recommend it) and lines like the following in an agenda-loaded org file:

** 8:00-9:00 Ward Council Meeting: 2nd and 4th Sunday
   <%%(diary-float t 0 2)>
   <%%(diary-float t 0 4)>

Does that help? For me, probably 85% of my emacs usage is org-mode (planning, note-taking, powerpoint/doc generation); it ships with emacs, so if you haven't looked into it yet, I would strongly recommend it. They also have a mailing list parallel to this one.

- Tory

@ 2015-01-20  3:01   ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2015-01-20  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tory S. Anderson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, m.eliachevitch

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> I accomplish this using Org-mode agenda for all my calendaring (highly recommend it) and lines like the following in an agenda-loaded org file:
>
> ** 8:00-9:00 Ward Council Meeting: 2nd and 4th Sunday
>    <%%(diary-float t 0 2)>
>    <%%(diary-float t 0 4)>
>
> Does that help? For me, probably 85% of my emacs usage is org-mode (planning, note-taking, powerpoint/doc generation); it ships with emacs, so if you haven't looked into it yet, I would strongly recommend it. They also have a mailing list parallel to this one.

The same thing can be done with the regular calendar.  The syntax for
the example Tory gives above would be:

%%(diary-float t 0 2) Ward Council Meeting: 2nd Sunday of the month.
%%(diary-float t 0 4) Ward Council Meeting: 4th Sunday of the month.

BR,
Robert Thorpe