all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: auctex startup improvements and osx
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 12:05:02 +0200	[thread overview]

Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> writes:

>> I am running Gnu Emacs 24.5.1 on OSX Yosemite, binary download from
>> http://emacsformacosx.com/ . when auctex is installed (via standard
>> package-list-packages), version 11.88.5, i.e., into the .emacs.d/elpa
>> directory, then auctex is loaded when a .tex file is visited, even in
>> the absence of an init.el. good.
>>
>> problem: starting emacs on a retina i7 iMac to edit a latex source
>>file now takes about 5 seconds on an empty or 1-page latex article.
>>during this time, the emacs bottom states "For information about the
>>Gnu System..." for these 5 seconds, and then it proceeds as expected.
>>No errors or warnings. Just slow.
>
> There was a similar question on the AUCTeX mailing list just last week:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex/2015-04/msg00022.html
>
> I haven't followed the entire thread, but perhaps your problem is
> related?

In that thread, the culprit for the slowness has been kpsewhich which
seems to be slow on OSX.  We made a change in AUCTeX so that kpsewhich
is called less often.  I think it used to be called about 10 times, and
now it's only called 3 times.

That fix is in 11.88.5.  So if your auctex still loads slow, then it has
either nothing to do with kpsewhich, or you are only thinking you're
using 11.88.5 but in fact some older version shadows that.

Well, the thread Joost cites about (my first reply in there) also tells
how to use the profiler to narrow down the culprit.  Please try that.

Bye,
Tassilo