all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What is the difference between C-g and M-x keyboard-quit?
@ 2015-09-15 20:23 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-09-15 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

there /must/ be some difference, since C-g beeps and M-x keyboard-quit
does not.  What is the reason for that?  What is exactly the difference?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: What is the difference between C-g and M-x keyboard-quit?
       [not found] <mailman.1208.1442348628.19560.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-09-15 21:31 ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2015-09-15 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hi all,
>
> there /must/ be some difference, since C-g beeps and M-x keyboard-quit
> does not.  What is the reason for that?  What is exactly the difference?

C-h k C-g seems clear enough:

It is bound to C-g.

(keyboard-quit)

Signal a `quit' condition.
During execution of Lisp code, this character causes a quit directly.
At top-level, as an editor command, this simply beeps.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: What is the difference between C-g and M-x keyboard-quit?
@ 2015-09-15 23:25 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-09-15 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> there /must/ be some difference, since C-g beeps and
> M-x keyboard-quit does not. What is the reason for
> that? What is exactly the difference?

Use the source, Luke! (if you can figure it out...)

The help has already been quoted, but for me, with
beeping enabled and 'emacs -Q', (keyboard-quit) beeps
regardless how I invoke it ("from Lisp" and with M-x).

Here is how to disable the beeping - and enabling, for
the sake of testing:

# in X
xset -b
xset b on

# Linux VT (virtual terminal)/console/tty
setterm -term linux -blength 0   > `tty` # or, e.g., /dev/tty1
setterm -term linux -blength 100 > `tty` # 0 and 100 are durations

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: What is the difference between C-g and M-x keyboard-quit?
@ 2015-09-16  6:20 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2015-09-16  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> there /must/ be some difference, since C-g beeps and M-x keyboard-quit
> does not.  What is the reason for that?  What is exactly the
> difference?

In what situation does that happen for you?  At top level?  C-g is not
always bound to `keyboard-quit', in some cases, it has a different
binding.

Regards,

Michael.

* Re: What is the difference between C-g and M-x keyboard-quit?
@ 2015-09-16  6:27   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2015-09-16  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

> Signal a `quit' condition.
> During execution of Lisp code, this character causes a quit directly.
> At top-level, as an editor command, this simply beeps.

But if you look at the code, you see that

    (signal 'quit nil)

is always executed.  If you get a beep depends on whether the quit
is caught.  But the behavior should be independent from how you invoke
`keyboard-quit' in one and the same context - either the quit signal
gets caught (no beep) or it isn't (beep).

Michael.

* Re: What is the difference between C-g and M-x keyboard-quit?
@ 2015-09-16  7:11 ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2015-09-16  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> there /must/ be some difference, since C-g beeps and M-x keyboard-quit
> does not.  What is the reason for that?  What is exactly the difference?

For me M-x keyboard-quit beeps identically to C-g.  I wonder why your
M-x keyboard-quit does not beep?

Here is some trivia.  If you run emacs in a terminal and then send
that terminal emacs the INT signal 2 then it will beep and report
"Quit" in minibuffer just the same as C-g.  C-g is really just the
same as a tty interrupt.  I am specific about in a terminal because an
X graphics emacs receiving signal 2 INT exits.

Bob