all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* seq-mapn and circular lists
@ 2016-12-14 22:19 Plamen Tanovski
From: Plamen Tanovski @ 2016-12-14 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

while cl-map works fine on circular lists, seq-mapn just freezes

(let ((l1 '#1=(1 . #1#)))
  ; (map 'list #'+ '(3 4 5 7) l1)
  (seq-mapn #'+ '(3 4 5 7) l1))

Making the circular list with setcdr or nconc doesn't help. Any
suggestions?

best regards
PT

* Re: seq-mapn and circular lists
@ 2016-12-14 23:32 ` John Mastro
From: John Mastro @ 2016-12-14 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org; +Cc: Plamen Tanovski

Plamen Tanovski <pgt@arcor.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while cl-map works fine on circular lists, seq-mapn just freezes
>
> (let ((l1 '#1=(1 . #1#)))
>   ; (map 'list #'+ '(3 4 5 7) l1)
>   (seq-mapn #'+ '(3 4 5 7) l1))
>
> Making the circular list with setcdr or nconc doesn't help. Any
> suggestions?

Indeed, seq-map and seq-mapn do not attempt to identify or handle circular
lists. My advice would be to avoid circular lists, or stick to `cl-map' if you
must accommodate them :)

Since seq.el is developed as part of Emacs, you can use `M-x report-emacs-bug'
to submit a feature request.

        John

* Re: seq-mapn and circular lists
@ 2016-12-14 23:57   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2016-12-14 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Mastro; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Nicolas Petton, Plamen Tanovski

John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> writes:

[CC'ing the author of seq.el, Nicolas]

> > while cl-map works fine on circular lists, seq-mapn just freezes
> >
> > (let ((l1 '#1=(1 . #1#)))
> >   ; (map 'list #'+ '(3 4 5 7) l1)
> >   (seq-mapn #'+ '(3 4 5 7) l1))
> >
> > Making the circular list with setcdr or nconc doesn't help. Any
> > suggestions?

> Indeed, seq-map and seq-mapn do not attempt to identify or handle
> circular lists. My advice would be to avoid circular lists, or stick
> to `cl-map' if you must accommodate them :)

The problem seems to be that `seq-mapn' transforms every argument
sequence into a list before doing anything - but it doesn't check if
anything is already a list, so it effectively copies any list argument,
and this is what makes the thing freeze.  If we avoid this copying, the
function would already do the right thing.

> Since seq.el is developed as part of Emacs, you can use `M-x
> report-emacs-bug' to submit a feature request.

Yes, please do that, Plamen.

Michael.

* Re: seq-mapn and circular lists
@ 2016-12-15  9:26     ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-12-15  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen, John Mastro; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Plamen Tanovski

Hi Michael,

>> Since seq.el is developed as part of Emacs, you can use `M-x
>> report-emacs-bug' to submit a feature request.
>
> Yes, please do that, Plamen.

I pushed a fix in master already :-)

Cheers,
Nico