all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#23040: Resolved
       [not found] ` <8737q7kquz.fsf@thinkpad.rath.org>
@ 2017-01-26 22:55   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2017-01-26 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaus Rath; +Cc: 23040

Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> writes:

> The problem here is that recently some spam has started to come with
> extremely long "References" headers, and that the regular expression
> used in one of my scoring rules is sub-optimal when applied to such long
> strings.
>
> In particular, the leading dot in "<.+@[a-z0-9]+\\.rath\\.org>" first
> matches the entire reference header, and then emacs presumably has to
> backtrack character by character (or something like that).
>
> Fixing the rule by restricting the match to one message id fixes the
> problem: "<[^<>@]+@[a-z0-9]+\\.rath\\.org>"

Could you submit a patch for this problem?

* bug#23040: Resolved
@ 2017-01-27 17:56     ` Nikolaus Rath
From: Nikolaus Rath @ 2017-01-27 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 23040

On Jan 26 2017, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> writes:
>
>> The problem here is that recently some spam has started to come with
>> extremely long "References" headers, and that the regular expression
>> used in one of my scoring rules is sub-optimal when applied to such long
>> strings.
>>
>> In particular, the leading dot in "<.+@[a-z0-9]+\\.rath\\.org>" first
>> matches the entire reference header, and then emacs presumably has to
>> backtrack character by character (or something like that).
>>
>> Fixing the rule by restricting the match to one message id fixes the
>> problem: "<[^<>@]+@[a-z0-9]+\\.rath\\.org>"
>
> Could you submit a patch for this problem?

If I understand the issue correctly, then it is caused by a sub-optimal
regular expression in my local configuration that triggers problems in
Emacs' regular expression engine. I think the former can't be patched in
Gnus, and the latter is definitely beyond my area of expertise, sorry.

Best,
-Nikolaus

* bug#23040: Resolved
@ 2017-01-27 19:09       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2017-01-27 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaus Rath; +Cc: 23040

Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> writes:

> If I understand the issue correctly, then it is caused by a sub-optimal
> regular expression in my local configuration that triggers problems in
> Emacs' regular expression engine. I think the former can't be patched in
> Gnus, and the latter is definitely beyond my area of expertise, sorry.

OK; closing.