tags 21376 + patch quit Eli Zaretskii writes: > 4 of the Python tests fail on MS-Windows due to some issue related to > the prompts displayed by the Python interpreter. The 4 failed tests > are: > > FAILED python-shell-make-comint-4 > FAILED python-shell-prompt-detect-1 > FAILED python-shell-prompt-detect-2 > FAILED python-shell-prompt-set-calculated-regexps-6 > > I show below the relevant portions of python-tests.log. > > I need help in figuring out what causes these. One possible suspect > is some buffering issue, due to which Emacs does not receive the > prompt that Python prints. Another possibility might be the version > of the Python (I have 2.6.6 installed). Or maybe something else. It seems to be a bug in Python 2.x on Windows (Python 3.6.x doesn't show the problem). In unbuffered mode it rejects carriage returns. Compare results of printf 'print("hello world")\r\n' > hello-world-with-crnl.py python -i < hello-world-with-crnl.py python -i -u < hello-world-with-crnl.py printf 'print("hello world")\n' > hello-world-with-nl.py python -i < hello-world-with-nl.py python -i -u < hello-world-with-nl.py (Setting the PYTHONUNBUFFERED environment variable, as python.el does, is equivalent to passing '-u'.) The bug can be worked around with the following patch: