all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to apply live swank melpa update? (SBCL, ASDF 3.1.5 (?), GNU Emacs 26.0.91)
@ 2018-03-09  7:25 Akater
       [not found] ` <87muzhg171.fsf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Akater @ 2018-03-09  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ, gentoo-lisp-cnFmAm88PdgLnqt3yJz4RQ

How do I apply swank update coming with GNU Emacs SLIME melpa update without
restarting Lisp?

Initially I just tried to

(asdf:load-system "swank")

which signalled a SIMPLE-FILE-ERROR while attempting to WRITE-FILE
located at a previous slime directory which directory does not exist
anymore after SLIME update.

Restarting SLIME signalled the same error, only now I'm not connected to
Lisp image at all. At this point, I don't know what to do sans
restarting Lisp which would be unwelcome.

What should I have done and what do I do now? (Clearly, at least I
should have started a different SLIME connection for this attempt at
restart.)

Note regarding ASDF version: Gentoo says ASDF 3.1.5, manual shipped with
current SBCL (1.4.5) says 3.3.1. Without connection to Lisp, I can't say
much more.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to apply live swank melpa update? (SBCL, ASDF 3.1.5 (?), GNU Emacs 26.0.91)
       [not found] ` <87muzhg171.fsf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-03-09 20:03   ` Chema Alonso Josa
From: Chema Alonso Josa @ 2018-03-09 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gentoo-lisp-cnFmAm88PdgLnqt3yJz4RQ; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 07:25:38AM +0000, Akater wrote:
> How do I apply swank update coming with GNU Emacs SLIME melpa update without
> restarting Lisp?
>
> Initially I just tried to
>
> (asdf:load-system "swank")
>
> which signalled a SIMPLE-FILE-ERROR while attempting to WRITE-FILE
> located at a previous slime directory which directory does not exist
> anymore after SLIME update.
>
> Restarting SLIME signalled the same error, only now I'm not connected to
> Lisp image at all. At this point, I don't know what to do sans
> restarting Lisp which would be unwelcome.
>
> What should I have done and what do I do now? (Clearly, at least I
> should have started a different SLIME connection for this attempt at
> restart.)
>
> Note regarding ASDF version: Gentoo says ASDF 3.1.5, manual shipped with
> current SBCL (1.4.5) says 3.3.1. Without connection to Lisp, I can't say
> much more.

Don't know if the following would have helped at your end:

(asdf:clear-source-registry)

and then

(require :swank)

Regarding SBCL at gentoo, we use the latest version of ASDF because
SBCL bumps versions of ASDF not very frequently in their releases.

Regards.