Stefan Monnier writes: >> I meant featurep, but since cl-assert is autoloaded, that shouldn't be > > AFAICT it's not autoloaded. You're right, emacs -Q followed by (fboundp 'cl-assert) returns nil. > I think the confusing comes from help-fns.el which does (require > 'cl-lib), so if you do `C-h f cl-assert RET` it will indeed tell you > it's autoloaded, but it's just because `C-h f` ended up requiring > cl-lib. No, the confusion comes from looking at the source of cl-macs.el, in which cl-assert is given an ;;;###autoload cookie. I see now that there are some comments in cl-lib.el that suggest loading cl-loaddefs.el involves some trickery, so I guess I don't get to eat the cake here. In that case, I don't see how Eli's suggestion to predicate the cl-assert call on (featurep 'cl-lib) will help, as feauturep is not going to load the library for us. Do we want the following instead?