all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* running my elisp step by step ?
@ 2018-12-07  5:43 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-12-07  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a way to run my elisp step by step and to see how all the variables are changing as I step through the code ?

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: running my elisp step by step ?
@ 2018-12-07  6:23 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2018-12-07  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean-Christophe Helary <brandelune@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to run my elisp step by step and to see how all
> the variables are changing as I step through the code ?

Edebug:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Edebug.html

Alexis.

* Re: running my elisp step by step ?
@ 2018-12-07 13:25   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-12-07 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Dec 7, 2018, at 15:23, Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary <brandelune@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to run my elisp step by step and to see how all the variables are changing as I step through the code ?
>
> Edebug:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Edebug.html

Thank you. I had read about it and probably missed something because I could not make it work at my first attempt. Hence my question.

Thank you *so* much. It took me just 1 minute to find a silly bug I had introduced in my code.

@ 2018-12-07 14:21 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2018-12-07 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary, help-gnu-emacs

> Is there a way to run my elisp step by step and to see how all the
> variables are changing as I step through the code ?

`M-x debug-on-entry SOME-FUNCTION'

Or insert calls to `debug' anywhere in source code,
to enter the code there.  This is helpful, for
example, to debug what happens in an `interactive'
spec (since `debug-on-entry' kicks in only after
the `interactive' spec has done its thing).

See (elisp) `Invoking the Debugger':

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Invoking-the-Debugger.html