Lars Ingebrigtsen writes: > They are, but the output in that buffer is just raw bytes -- no matter > whether the output is from stderr or stdout. There must be a decoding > thing that takes place later, but I'm still looking for where that > happens. (I'm wholly unfamiliar with the ediff code.) But it's not doing that -- it's loading the files into normal Emacs buffers, so the normal Emacs autodetecting of coding systems takes place. Hm... to me it looks like it never decodes the output from diff -- it doesn't care what's on the lines, it just uses the diff codes. Here's what the output buffer looks like: