all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Prompt issue with tramp shell
       [not found] <20201016144103.r3npeqap7uo63ney.ref@Ergus>
@ 2020-10-16 14:41 ` Ergus
From: Ergus @ 2020-10-16 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi:

I am trying to use a shell with tramp

C-x C-f ssh:/....
M-x shell

then I select bash.

and I have a problem that the prompt is shown twice like this:

[]0; user@host:/home/user ^G[user@host /home/user]$

I am not sure if I need an extra config on emacs or in bash?

* Re: Prompt issue with tramp shell
@ 2020-10-16 14:48   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2020-10-16 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    > Hi: I am trying to use a shell with tramp

    > C-x C-f ssh:/....  M-x shell

    > then I select bash.

    > and I have a problem that the prompt is shown twice like this:

    > []0; user@host:/home/user ^G[user@host /home/user]$

    > I am not sure if I need an extra config on emacs or in bash?

I recommend you to use eshell rather than shell.

Best wishes,

* Re: Prompt issue with tramp shell
@ 2020-10-18 12:09   ` Daniel Martín
From: Daniel Martín @ 2020-10-18 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

> Hi:
>
> I am trying to use a shell with tramp
>
> C-x C-f ssh:/....
> M-x shell
>
> then I select bash.
>
> and I have a problem that the prompt is shown twice like this:
>
> []0; user@host:/home/user ^G[user@host /home/user]$
>
> I am not sure if I need an extra config on emacs or in bash?

I can't reproduce the issue.  Check if you have a ~/.emacs_BASH or
~/.emacs.d/init_BASH.sh that may be configuring the prompt incorrectly.
You could also try to run /bin/sh instead; that will ignore any
~/.bashrc from the remote system.

* Re: Prompt issue with tramp shell
@ 2020-10-18 14:37     ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2020-10-18 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    > Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I am trying to use a shell with tramp
    >>
    >> C-x C-f ssh:/....  M-x shell
    >>
    >> then I select bash.
    >>
    >> and I have a problem that the prompt is shown twice like this:
    >>
    >> []0; user@host:/home/user ^G[user@host /home/user]$
    >>
    >> I am not sure if I need an extra config on emacs or in bash?

    > I can't reproduce the issue.  Check if you have a ~/.emacs_BASH or
    > ~/.emacs.d/init_BASH.sh that may be configuring the prompt
    > incorrectly.  You could also try to run /bin/sh instead; that will
    > ignore any ~/.bashrc from the remote system.

Try putting only the following three lines in your ~/.emacs_bash

 # -*- mode: sh; -*-
 # echo ""
 printf '\r\n%.0s' {1..50} ## Clears screen and puts single prompt at bottom

Best wishes,

* Re: Prompt issue with tramp shell
@ 2020-10-20 23:12       ` Ergus
From: Ergus @ 2020-10-20 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 03:37:35PM +0100, Colin Baxter wrote:

>    > Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:
>    >> Hi:
>    >>
>    >> I am trying to use a shell with tramp
>    >>
>    >> C-x C-f ssh:/....  M-x shell
>    >>
>    >> then I select bash.
>    >>
>    >> and I have a problem that the prompt is shown twice like this:
>    >>
>    >> []0; user@host:/home/user ^G[user@host /home/user]$
>    >>
>    >> I am not sure if I need an extra config on emacs or in bash?
>
>    > I can't reproduce the issue.  Check if you have a ~/.emacs_BASH or
>    > ~/.emacs.d/init_BASH.sh that may be configuring the prompt
>    > incorrectly.  You could also try to run /bin/sh instead; that will
>    > ignore any ~/.bashrc from the remote system.
>
>Try putting only the following three lines in your ~/.emacs_bash
>
> # -*- mode: sh; -*-
> # echo ""
> printf '\r\n%.0s' {1..50} ## Clears screen and puts single prompt at bottom
>

>Best wishes,

Hi I tried this ~/.emacs_bash thing and I have the same issue.

The second prompt changed a bit but it is still duplicated:

^[]0; ergus@rppi:/home/ergus \a[ergus@rppi ~]$

I also tried eshell but it is extremely slow almost unusable...

Any other idea?

Best,
Ergus

* Re: Prompt issue with tramp shell
@ 2020-10-20 23:21         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-10-20 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ergus wrote:

> I tried this ~/.emacs_bash thing and I have the
> same issue [...]

tramp didn't work for me at all!

I have two remote system, one SunOS and one OpenBSD,
none worked, then I got help on this list.

Here is what made it work. Do I understand why?
Maybe only Jehovah does.

NB: the methods are different - the "big Elisp" you
    see is the SunOS-specific method.

HIH (ha)

;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
;;;
;;; this file:
;;;   http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/emacs-init/tramp-my.el
;;;   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/tramp-my.el

(require 'tramp)

(setq tramp-histfile-override nil)

(add-to-list 'tramp-methods
  '("sunos-ssh"
    (tramp-login-program "ssh")
    (tramp-login-args (("-l" "%u")
                       ("-p" "%p")
                       ("%c")
                       ("-e" "none")
                       ("-t" "-t")
                       ("%h")
                       ("\"/bin/sh -i\"") ))
    (tramp-async-args (("-q")))
    (tramp-remote-shell "/bin/sh")
    (tramp-remote-shell-login ("-l"))
    (tramp-remote-shell-args  ("-c"))
    ))

;; SunOS system:
;; (find-file "/sunos-ssh:embe8573@polhem.it.uu.se:darn.txt")
;;
;; OpenBSD system:
;; (find-file "/-:incal@srv.dataswamp.org:public_html/bot/sth.py")

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* the Elisp robot [photo] (was: Re: Prompt issue with tramp shell)
@ 2020-10-20 23:30           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-10-20 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I have two remote system, one SunOS and one
> OpenBSD, none worked, then I got help on this list.

Actually, I have a third remote system, a Raspbian
(AKA the RPi OS, but I didn't upgrade since they
changed the name)

... wait, what am I saying, this isn't the RPi! :$

The OS is ev3dev, which is also a Debian HW-specific
derivative, by all means!

Elisp:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/terror-3/

dump:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/terror-3/img/terror-cmd-loop.png

photo:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/terror-3/img/terror.jpg

I'll try to tramp to it, now :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: the Elisp robot [photo] (was: Re: Prompt issue with tramp shell)
@ 2020-10-20 23:53             ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-10-20 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> The OS is ev3dev, which is also a Debian
> HW-specific derivative, by all means!
>
> Elisp:
>
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/terror-3/
>
> dump:
>
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/terror-3/img/terror-cmd-loop.png
>
> photo:
>
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/terror-3/img/terror.jpg

Terror was in C:
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/terror/

Terror 2 in Prolog:
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/terror-2/

Terror 3 in Elisp:
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/terror-3/

- A Lisp bot, in hardware! that's cool :)

You bet! But the movements of the bot is still crude,
don't look like the droids of Star Wars which go
around much more natural. I'll pick up this
project now :)

PS. That's a Knipex pliers BTW. Awesome tool
    and brand. Made in Germany <3

PPS. The robot is called Terror after a vehicle in
     a Jules Verne novel. It is called "Världens
     herre" (literally "Lord of the World") in
     Swedish, but a friend borrowed it so can't give
     you the original French or translated English
     title - no, it should be this! not Lord, but
     "Master of the World" (1911; original title,
     Maître du monde, 1904)
     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_the_World_(novel)

--

@ 2020-10-21  5:54             ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-21  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Really great to see this kind of project.

Does it directly communicate with the Robot?

* Re: the Elisp robot [photo]
@ 2020-10-21  6:08               ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-10-21  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> Really great to see this kind of project.

Thanks :)

> Does it directly communicate with the Robot?

You mean Emacs interface/the Elisp and the droid?

Yes, you can redefine a function, eval it, invoke it,
and the new behavior will be there, you don't have to
restart the droid or a single program for
that matter.

Or ... did you mean something else?

That said, the interface and well... nothing, TBH -
is polished at this moment. There are 22 files,
1032 lines of Elisp [1].

Everything can be improved, basically, if anyone
feels like joining me :)

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/terror-3/

--

@ 2020-10-21  6:25                 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-21  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2020-10-21 09:09]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > Really great to see this kind of project.
>
> Thanks :)
>
> > Does it directly communicate with the Robot?
>
> You mean Emacs interface/the Elisp and the droid?
>
> Yes, you can redefine a function, eval it, invoke it,
> and the new behavior will be there, you don't have to
> restart the droid or a single program for
> that matter.

How does it communicate with droid?

By which communication line?

* Re: the Elisp robot [photo]
@ 2020-10-21  6:41                   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-10-21  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> How does it communicate with droid?

:) ... I'm not following, what is "it"?

> By which communication line?

The communication line from my computer to the robot
is WiFi!

So: install the Debian-ish ev3dev OS, get the bot
online, ssh to the bot, install Emacs, bring over the
initial set of Elisp files, run Emacs with them on
the bot, they call the robot's primitives.

It can look like this:

(defun color-stop-on-color (&optional color)
  (let ((stop-color (or color 1))) ; 1 = black
    (when (and (string= stop-color (color-get-color))
               (moving-forward-p) )
      (ev3-stop) )))

https://dataswamp.org/~incal/terror-3/ev3-color-stop-on-color.el

--

@ 2020-10-21 12:28                     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-21 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2020-10-21 09:42]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > How does it communicate with droid?
>
> :) ... I'm not following, what is "it"?

IT, the alien? IT the horror movie? :-)

How does your Emacs Lisp package communicate with the droid?

> > By which communication line?
>
> The communication line from my computer to the robot
> is WiFi!

Aaaaaaaaa..... like that, and I was thinking if it is TCP port or
what.

> So: install the Debian-ish ev3dev OS, get the bot
> online, ssh to the bot, install Emacs, bring over the
> initial set of Elisp files, run Emacs with them on
> the bot, they call the robot's primitives.

Aha, I was thinking that your Emacs Lisp package is remote from robot,
and you give commands, of course that would not be robot in the sense
to be automatic. But you also need some remote control to program it.

And how does the internal OS communicates with robot commands? Are
those shell commands or how?

@ 2020-10-21 14:24                       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-10-21 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> And how does the internal OS communicates with
> robot commands? Are those shell commands or how?

It comes with files that represent different parts of
the robot.

The Elisp reads and writes to these files.

Here is one file that is a good example:

;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
;;;
;;; this file:
;;;   http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/terror-3/ev3-motor.el
;;;   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/terror-3/ev3-motor.el

(require 'cl-lib)
(require 'ev3-motor-init)
(require 'file-write-to)

;; speed files / getters / setters
;; NB: digit in a/the speed file, not measured/actual droid speed

(defun get-motor-speed-file (motor)
  (cl-case motor
    ('left   left-motor-speed-file)
    ('right  right-motor-speed-file)
    ('medium medium-motor-speed-file) ))

(defun get-motor-speed (motor)
  (file-to-integer (get-motor-speed-file motor) ))

(defun set-motor-speed (motor speed)
  (write-to-file-integer (get-motor-speed-file motor) speed) )

;; commands

(defun get-motor-cmd-file (motor)
  (cl-case motor
    ('left   left-motor-cmd-file)
    ('right  right-motor-cmd-file)
    ('medium medium-motor-cmd-file) ))

(defun motor-cmd (motor cmd)
  (write-to-file (get-motor-cmd-file motor) cmd) )

(defun run-forever (motor)
  (motor-cmd motor "run-forever") )

(defun stop (motor)
  (motor-cmd motor "stop") )

;; individual motor control
;;
;; NB 1: most often, these are not used directly, instead use
;;       the interactive functions in ev3-motor-rotate.el,
;;       ev3-motor-straight.el, etc
;;
;; NB 2: always set motor speed thru `set-motor'
;;       in order to set both speed AND issue robot command
;;       as well as to check that speed doesn't exceed the max speed

(defvar *max-speed* nil)

(defun set-motor (motor speed)
  (let*((max-speed (or *max-speed* (setq *max-speed* 1050))) ;; TODO: get from file here
        (min-speed (- max-speed) ))
    (when (and (<= min-speed speed)
               (<= speed max-speed) )
      (set-motor-speed motor speed)
      (if (zerop speed) (stop motor)
        (run-forever motor) ))))

(defun set-motor-left (speed)
  (set-motor 'left speed) )

(defun set-motor-right (speed)
  (set-motor 'right speed) )

(defun set-motor-both (speed &optional right)
  (set-motor 'left  speed)
  (set-motor 'right (or right speed)) )

(defun stop-motor-left ()
  (set-motor 'left 0) )

(defun stop-motor-right ()
  (set-motor 'right 0) )

(defun stop-motor-both ()
  (stop-motor-left)
  (stop-motor-right) )

(provide 'ev3-motor)

--

@ 2020-10-21 17:48                         ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-21 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2020-10-21 17:25]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > And how does the internal OS communicates with
> > robot commands? Are those shell commands or how?
>
> It comes with files that represent different parts of
> the robot.

> The Elisp reads and writes to these files.

>  (defun get-motor-speed (motor)
>   (file-to-integer (get-motor-speed-file motor) ))

Aha you read there from file.

> (defun set-motor-speed (motor speed)
>   (write-to-file-integer (get-motor-speed-file motor) speed) )

You write there.

I guess that is something similar as /proc/ file system. It is
understandable.

Does droid has some non-free blobs or something to run?

Where is it available?

Jean

* Re: the Elisp robot [photo]
@ 2020-10-21 22:48                           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-10-21 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>>  (defun get-motor-speed (motor)
>>   (file-to-integer (get-motor-speed-file motor) ))
>
> Aha you read there from file.
>
>> (defun set-motor-speed (motor speed)
>>   (write-to-file-integer (get-motor-speed-file motor) speed) )
>
> You write there.

J. Louis, Elisp class "R" detective

> I guess that is something similar as /proc/ file
> system. It is understandable.

Everything is a file, I've heard people say, or inode
at least, in Linux, so why not this as well? It is
easy to understand and open to access from whatever
tool.

It is good enough for my game :)

> Does droid has some non-free blobs or something
> to run?

My Elisp don't have an explicit license, as for the
ev3dev kernel including additionally installed
software, I don't know - how do you check that?
The /etc/apt/sources.list is maybe an indicator but
doesn't tell what has been installed, just what can
be installed (besides, that's a file one can edit).

How do you get a list on a Debian or Debian-like OS,
that tells what packs have been installed with
apt-get & Co.?

> Where is it available?

it = the source?

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/terror-3/

all links already posted, here:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2020-10/msg00376.html

--

@ 2020-10-21 23:06                             ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-21 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2020-10-22 01:49]:
> > Where is it available?
>
> it = the source?

The droid, the source you have shown. Where is the droid?

* Re: the Elisp robot [photo]
@ 2020-10-21 23:33                               ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-10-21 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>>> Where is it available?
>>
>> it = the source?
>
> The droid, the source you have shown. Where is
> the droid?

The current location of Terror is

  Ekebyv 21, 752 63 Uppsala, Sweden

Here is the only photo so far

@ 2020-10-22  9:55                                 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-22  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2020-10-22 02:34]:

> >> it = the source?
> >
> > The droid, the source you have shown. Where is
> > the droid?
>
> The current location of Terror is

I know Uppsalla, but I was not there, my cousin was or still professor
there. Other important study for my business was done at the
University in your city.

I am asking where can that droid be purchased?

Or did you make it yourself?

--
Jean Louis

* Re: the Elisp robot [photo]
@ 2020-10-22 16:34                                   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-10-22 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> I know Uppsalla, but I was not there, my cousin was
> or still professor there. Other important study for
> my business was done at the University in
> your city.

OK, cool!

> I am asking where can that droid be purchased?

Well, you can buy it from me, I'll use the money to
build a new one, acquiring more experience and maybe
discovering something new.

Or you can pay me to get a new one, and I'll build it
like Terror, and get ready all the same software
and code.

> Or did you make it yourself?

Yes, I put it together, set up the software, wrote
the Elisp, and brought it over.

PS. Yesterday, I had it connect to a freenode
    channel! Yes, you get it - a new type of IRC
    bot! :) DS.

--

@ 2020-10-22 16:55                                     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-10-22 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2020-10-22 19:36]:
> Well, you can buy it from me, I'll use the money to
> build a new one, acquiring more experience and maybe
> discovering something new.
>
> Or you can pay me to get a new one, and I'll build it
> like Terror, and get ready all the same software
> and code.
>
> > Or did you make it yourself?
>
> Yes, I put it together, set up the software, wrote
> the Elisp, and brought it over.

Tell us how, where you got those parts. For teaching young people this
needs to go from scratch, not ready everything.

--
Jean Louis

* Re: the Elisp robot [photo]
@ 2020-10-22 17:42                                       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-10-22 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> Tell us how, where you got those parts.
> For teaching young people this needs to go from
> scratch, not ready everything.

those who know, know