Michael Albinus writes: > Well, using nil as operation might work in this special case, but it > disables an important feature of file name handlers: use of > inhibit-file-name-operation. That's why it shouldn't be documented as > such. > > Using just an arbitrary symbol as operation looks better to me. If you > use an existing operation name, like access-file, it could conflict later > with the inhibit-file-name-operation/inhibit-file-name-handlers machinery. > > This said, I don't understand why you need this check at all. But I > haven't followed the eglot discussion closely. > > Best regards, Michael. Thanks for your insights Michael! If you are curious, this code in eglot is about to round-aboutly call `find-file-noselect' on a URI, which Emacs will probably fail to open if there is no registered file name handler. So before doing that we write a message warning the user if no file name handler is registered. That's the idea. With this info I've written up another patch that checks find-file-name-handler with an arbitrary symbol (with a better name than my first attempt, IMO). I've tried to strike a balance between inline comments and the commit message.