Yoni Rabkin writes: > Hello all, > > We are trying to make Emms (https://www.gnu.org/software/emms/) better > out of the box. > > The idea is to have the user invoke "M-x emms-setup", have Emms ask some > questions (check which player binaries the user has installed, which > metadata programs are installed, where the music is located, etc.), and > have Emms generate and write the appropriate elisp configuration. > > I can think of two approaches. I am wondering which, if any, would be > considered best practice: > > Write the configuration to the user's ~/.emacs in the same manner as " > ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom." or ";; Added by > Package.el." I'm not a huge fan of this option for the sole reason that > I don't appreciate packages automatically editing a file I manually > edit. This is better IMO. Just use Custom. The user can set 'custom-file' to redirect the extra line to somewhere else. > > XOR > > Write the configuration to ~/.emacs.d/emms/auto-config.el. Emms would > then look for that configuration file there during startup. This is > cleaner, and can have the benefit of Emms being configured without a > single line needing to be added by the user to their ~/.emacs. Not bad, but is there really any need to reinvent the wheel once again? > > I know that a bunch of packages store information in ~/.emacs.d/, just > as Emms does. But is it acceptable practice to store configuration there > too? > > What I'm looking for is something along the lines of: "sure, we don't > care", or "don't do that, we don't want Emacs packages to go down that > route", or something similar. > > Thank you in advance. -- Akib Azmain Turja, GPG key: 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5 Fediverse: akib@hostux.social Codeberg: akib emailselfdefense.fsf.org | "Nothing can be secure without encryption."