all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Input method for Tifinagh (alphabet of the Berber language)
@ 2024-07-14 16:51 Adam Oudad
From: Adam Oudad @ 2024-07-14 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

As a daily user of GNU Emacs 29.3 and a native speaker of the Berber
language, spoken in North African countries such as Morocco, I regret the
inability to input characters from the Tifinagh (can be pronounced
"tee-fee-nar") alphabet, the alphabet used by the Berber language.

So I wrote a quail package for inputting Tifinagh and thought it would be a
nice addition to the input methods already available inside Emacs.

I based my implementation on arabic.el for the arabie input method, and
just remapped the keys to the correct phonetic symbols.

Your feedback will be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Adam

PS: The Wikipedia page about Tifinagh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tifinagh

[-- Attachment #2: tifinagh.el --]
[-- Type: text/x-emacs-lisp, Size: 985 bytes --]

;;; tifinagh.el --- Quail package for inputting Tifinagh	-*- coding: utf-8; lexical-binding:t -*-

;; Copyright (C) 2007-2022 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

;; Author: Adam Oudad <adam.oudad@gmail.com>

(require 'quail)

(quail-define-package
 "tifinagh" "Tininagh" "ⵣ" nil "Tifinagh input method.

Based on Tifinagh table in X Keyboard Configuration DB.
" nil t t t t nil nil nil nil nil t)

(quail-define-rules
 ("Q" ?ⵈ)
 ("W" ?ⵯ)
 ("R" ?ⵕ)
 ("T" ?ⵟ)
 ("P" ?ⵒ)

 ("S" ?ⵚ)
 ("D" ?ⴹ)
 ("G" ?ⴶ)
 ("H" ?ⵂ)
 ("J" ?ⵌ)
 ("K" ?ⴾ)

 ("Z" ?ⵥ)
 ("X" ?ⵝ)
 ("C" ?ⵞ)
 ("V" ?ⵗ)

 ("q" ?ⵇ)
 ("w" ?ⵡ)
 ("e" ?ⴻ)
 ("r" ?ⵔ)
 ("t" ?ⵜ)
 ("y" ?ⵢ)
 ("u" ?ⵓ)
 ("i" ?ⵉ)
 ("o" ?ⵄ)
 ("p" ?ⵃ)

 ("a" ?ⴰ)
 ("s" ?ⵙ)
 ("d" ?ⴷ)
 ("f" ?ⴼ)
 ("g" ?ⴳ)
 ("h" ?ⵀ)
 ("j" ?ⵊ)
 ("k" ?ⴽ)
 ("l" ?ⵍ)

 ("z" ?ⵣ)
 ("x" ?ⵅ)
 ("c" ?ⵛ)
 ("v" ?ⵖ)
 ("b" ?ⴱ)
 ("n" ?ⵏ)
 ("m" ?ⵎ)
 )

;;; tifinagh.el ends here

* Re: Input method for Tifinagh (alphabet of the Berber language)
@ 2024-07-14 18:20 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-07-14 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Oudad; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Adam Oudad <adam.oudad@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2024 01:51:06 +0900
>
> As a daily user of GNU Emacs 29.3 and a native speaker of the Berber language, spoken in North African
> countries such as Morocco, I regret the inability to input characters from the Tifinagh (can be pronounced
> "tee-fee-nar") alphabet, the alphabet used by the Berber language.
>
> So I wrote a quail package for inputting Tifinagh and thought it would be a nice addition to the input methods
> already available inside Emacs.
>
> I based my implementation on arabic.el for the arabie input method, and just remapped the keys to the
> correct phonetic symbols.
>
> Your feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks.  This is okay, and I will install it soon, but can we extend
the support for Tifinagh, so we have for it everything we have for
other scripts and languages?  Here's what we need:

 . For a Tifinagh line in etc/HELLO:
   - The name of the script/language as written in itself (I believe
     it's ⵜⵉⴼⵉⵏⴰⵖ, is that right?)
   - A greeting ("hello") in this language
 . For adding a Tifinagh language environment: the suitable
   set-language-info-alist form (see examples in misc-lang.el for what
   needs to be specified there)
 . Anything else you think is needed for reasonable support of this
   script.

(The above should be still small enough for us to be able to accept
such a contribution from you without copyright assignment, but I would
encourage you to start your copyright assignment paperwork
nonetheless, so that we could accept contributions from you in the
future as well, without any limitations.  If you agree, I will send
you the form to fill to start the paperwork rolling.)

Thanks again for your interest in Emacs.

* Re: Input method for Tifinagh (alphabet of the Berber language)
@ 2024-07-16 14:04   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2024-07-16 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Oudad; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

    >> From: Adam Oudad <adam.oudad@gmail.com>
    >> Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2024 01:51:06 +0900
    >>
    >> As a daily user of GNU Emacs 29.3 and a native speaker of the Berber language, spoken in North African
    >> countries such as Morocco, I regret the inability to input characters from the Tifinagh (can be pronounced
    >> "tee-fee-nar") alphabet, the alphabet used by the Berber language.
    >>
    >> So I wrote a quail package for inputting Tifinagh and thought it would be a nice addition to the input methods
    >> already available inside Emacs.
    >>
    >> I based my implementation on arabic.el for the arabie input method, and just remapped the keys to the
    >> correct phonetic symbols.
    >>
    >> Your feedback will be much appreciated.

    Eli>  . Anything else you think is needed for reasonable support of this
    Eli>    script.

(disclaimer: I know nothing about Tifinagh)

Adam, the quail rules you show donʼt cover all of the codepoints that Unicode
has defined for the Tifinagh script, it would be good if they were all
there (unless those codepoints are *really* never used, not even in
historical documents)

Robert

* Re: Input method for Tifinagh (alphabet of the Berber language)
@ 2024-07-26 13:53   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-07-26 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: adam.oudad; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 21:20:14 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > From: Adam Oudad <adam.oudad@gmail.com>
> > Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2024 01:51:06 +0900
> >
> > As a daily user of GNU Emacs 29.3 and a native speaker of the Berber language, spoken in North African
> > countries such as Morocco, I regret the inability to input characters from the Tifinagh (can be pronounced
> > "tee-fee-nar") alphabet, the alphabet used by the Berber language.
> >
> > So I wrote a quail package for inputting Tifinagh and thought it would be a nice addition to the input methods
> > already available inside Emacs.
> >
> > I based my implementation on arabic.el for the arabie input method, and just remapped the keys to the
> > correct phonetic symbols.
> >
> > Your feedback will be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.  This is okay, and I will install it soon, but can we extend
> the support for Tifinagh, so we have for it everything we have for
> other scripts and languages?  Here's what we need:
>
>  . For a Tifinagh line in etc/HELLO:
>    - The name of the script/language as written in itself (I believe
>      it's ⵜⵉⴼⵉⵏⴰⵖ, is that right?)
>    - A greeting ("hello") in this language
>  . For adding a Tifinagh language environment: the suitable
>    set-language-info-alist form (see examples in misc-lang.el for what
>    needs to be specified there)
>  . Anything else you think is needed for reasonable support of this
>    script.

No further comments, so I've now added the necessary bits and
installed this on the master branch.

* Re: Input method for Tifinagh (alphabet of the Berber language)
@ 2024-09-12 23:37     ` Adam Oudad
From: Adam Oudad @ 2024-09-12 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello guys,

I am very sorry for my late reply. I had to take a few months off for
personal reasons.

Thanks for your great feedback.

Eli, you told me about the copyright paperwork, which I am interested in
doing, so could you please send me the form you mentioned?

What I can do now is address the issues you guys pointed out and come back
with a more "professional" looking commit.

Best,

Adam

@ 2024-09-13  6:07       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-09-13  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Oudad; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Adam Oudad <adam.oudad@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2024 08:37:17 +0900
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I am very sorry for my late reply. I had to take a few months off for personal reasons.
>
> Thanks for your great feedback.
>
> Eli, you told me about the copyright paperwork, which I am interested in doing, so could you please send me
> the form you mentioned?

Form sent off-list.  But this contribution was small enough to accept
without copyright assignment, so I've already installed it on the
master branch.

> What I can do now is address the issues you guys pointed out and come back with a more "professional"
> looking commit.

Thanks, but the code is already installed.  If you want to improve the
Tifinagh support, I suggest that you check out the master branch of
the Emacs Git repository, and start from what we already have there
for Tifinagh.

Thanks.