all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Load .el files from $HOME/ directory?
@ 2003-04-11 18:40 Garry Heaton
From: Garry Heaton @ 2003-04-11 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

When working with Emacs via telnet I can load my '.emacs' file but can't
access '/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/'. I would like to run
'html-helperl-mode.el' within a telnet session so is there anything I can
add to my '.emacs' to tell it to load 'html-helper-mode.el' from $HOME/ ?

Garry Heaton

* Re: Load .el files from $HOME/ directory?
@ 2003-04-11 20:37 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-11 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Garry Heaton <none@none.com> writes:

> When working with Emacs via telnet I can load my '.emacs' file but can't
> access '/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/'.

Why not?

> I would like to run 'html-helperl-mode.el' within a telnet session
> so is there anything I can add to my '.emacs' to tell it to load
> 'html-helper-mode.el' from $HOME/ ?

See the variable load-path.  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/lisp/") --
this is a subdir of your home dir.

--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: Load .el files from $HOME/ directory?
@ 2003-04-11 20:55   ` Garry Heaton
From: Garry Heaton @ 2003-04-11 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:
> Garry Heaton <none@none.com> writes:
>

>>When working with Emacs via telnet I can load my '.emacs' file but can't
>>access '/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/'.
>

> Why not?

ISP limits access to $HOME via telnet since it's a shared CGI environment.

>>I would like to run 'html-helperl-mode.el' within a telnet session
>>so is there anything I can add to my '.emacs' to tell it to load
>>'html-helper-mode.el' from $HOME/ ?
>

> See the variable load-path.  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/lisp/") --
> this is a subdir of your home dir.

Thanks. Just what I needed.

Garry

* Re: Load .el files from $HOME/ directory?
@ 2003-04-11 21:01     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-11 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Garry Heaton <none@none.com> writes:

> Kai Großjohann wrote:
>> Garry Heaton <none@none.com> writes:
>>

>>>When working with Emacs via telnet I can load my '.emacs' file but can't
>>>access '/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/'.
>>

>> Why not?
>
> ISP limits access to $HOME via telnet since it's a shared CGI environment.

Amazing.  But you can access /usr/bin/emacs.  Weird.
--

@ 2003-04-11 21:44       ` Garry Heaton
From: Garry Heaton @ 2003-04-11 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:
> Garry Heaton <none@none.com> writes:
>

>>Kai Großjohann wrote:

>>>Why not?
>>
>>ISP limits access to $HOME via telnet since it's a shared CGI environment.
>

> Amazing.  But you can access /usr/bin/emacs.  Weird.

Well I'm just assuming I can't just go and upload my heavily customised
'html-helper-mode.el' file when 1800 users share the same environment. I
might even be committing a computer crime if I tried :-(

Garry

* Re: Load .el files from $HOME/ directory?
@ 2003-04-12  8:48         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-12  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Garry Heaton <none@none.com> writes:

> Well I'm just assuming I can't just go and upload my heavily customised
> 'html-helper-mode.el' file when 1800 users share the same environment. I
> might even be committing a computer crime if I tried :-(

Oh, by "access" you mean "write access"?  Ah!

Of course, it's bad for you to write in /usr/share.

FWIW, in Emacs one usually does NOT change *.el files that come with
the distribution.  Instead, one puts the changes in ~/.emacs.
--

@ 2003-04-15  7:58         ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2003-04-15  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Garry Heaton <none@none.com> writes:

> Kai Großjohann wrote:
> > Garry Heaton <none@none.com> writes:

> >>ISP limits access to $HOME via telnet since it's a shared CGI environment.
> >

> > Amazing.  But you can access /usr/bin/emacs.  Weird.
>
> Well I'm just assuming I can't just go and upload my heavily customised
> 'html-helper-mode.el' file when 1800 users share the same environment. I
> might even be committing a computer crime if I tried :-(

So why not just run emacs locally and use tramp to access files on the
remote server?

Tim

--
Tim Cross