all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* getting rid of button bar
@ 2003-10-26  7:59 Lowell
From: Lowell @ 2003-10-26  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On my emacs at work, there is a bar of graphical buttons, just above the
regular editing area. How do I get rid of it?

Lowell

p.s. I'm using gnu emacs 21.2 for Solaris

* Re: getting rid of button bar
@ 2003-10-26  9:19 ` Ola Nilsson
From: Ola Nilsson @ 2003-10-26  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hie,

Lowell <lkirsh@cs.ubc.ca> writes:
> On my emacs at work, there is a bar of graphical buttons, just above
> the regular editing area. How do I get rid of it?
>
> Lowell
>
> p.s. I'm using gnu emacs 21.2 for Solaris

I use this in by .emacs.

;; turn off tool-bar
(if (tool-bar-mode)
    (tool-bar-mode))

Regards,
--
/Ola Nilsson

* Re: getting rid of button bar
@ 2003-10-26 13:33 ` Chris F.A. Johnson
From: Chris F.A. Johnson @ 2003-10-26 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 at 07:59 GMT, Lowell wrote:
> On my emacs at work, there is a bar of graphical buttons, just above the
> regular editing area. How do I get rid of it?
>
> Lowell
>
> p.s. I'm using gnu emacs 21.2 for Solaris

  In your .emacs:

(tool-bar-mode -1)

--
	Chris F.A. Johnson
	cfaj@freeshell.org                      http://cfaj.freeshell.org

* Re: getting rid of button bar
@ 2003-10-26 14:27   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-10-26 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Oct 26 2003, Ola Nilsson wrote:

> Lowell <lkirsh@cs.ubc.ca> writes:
>> On my emacs at work, there is a bar of graphical buttons, just above
>> the regular editing area. How do I get rid of it?

> (if (tool-bar-mode)
>     (tool-bar-mode))

This toggles the mode once or twice.  If you want to switch it off in
Emacs, use "(tool-bar-mode -1)".  But it's better to use
"Emacs.toolBar: 0" in your ~/Xresources file.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* getting rid of button bar
@ 2003-10-27  9:47 ` Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2003-10-27  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

L> On my emacs at work, there is a bar of graphical buttons, just above the
L> regular editing area. How do I get rid of it?

;; In your .emacs
(tool-bar-mode -1)

 /\            ___
/___/\__|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____________________
  //--\ | | \|  |   Integralista GNUslamico e fancazzista
\/

* Re: getting rid of button bar
@ 2003-10-27 12:53     ` Reiner Steib
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3097.1067933984.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-10-27 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 27 2003, someone asked per private mail:

> On 10/26/2003 03:27 PM Reiner Steib wrote:
>> This toggles the mode once or twice.  If you want to switch it off in
>> Emacs, use "(tool-bar-mode -1)".  But it's better to use
>> "Emacs.toolBar: 0" in your ~/Xresources file.

> I don't have an Xresources file

Create a new one.  The name is »~/.Xresources« -- the dot was missing
in my previous posting.  Normally it's read automatically when the X
server is started.  If not, you need to enter »xrdb -merge
~/.Xresources« or put this in your ~/.xsession (or
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession).

> - why is it better to use it? I have all my emacs config stuff in my
> one .emacs file, and having two places to configure stuff would IMHO
> not make anything better.

If you do it in »~/.emacs«, Emacs starts *with* a tool bar (which
obviously doesn't make much sense) and removes it later.  Compare the
two calls below.  You'll see that they lead to different sizes of the
Emacs frame.

emacs -q -no-site-file -xrm 'Emacs.toolBar: 0' -geometry 80x20

emacs -q -no-site-file -xrm 'Emacs.toolBar: 1' -geometry 80x20 \
  -eval '(tool-bar-mode -1)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: getting rid of button bar
@ 2003-10-29 21:05   ` jan
From: jan @ 2003-10-29 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > On my emacs at work, there is a bar of graphical buttons, just
> > above the regular editing area. How do I get rid of it?
>
> (tool-bar-mode -1)

And as a bonus tip for all the mouse haters out there, you can get rid
of the other bars aswell.

(menu-bar-mode 0)
(scroll-bar-mode -1)

--
jan

* Re: getting rid of button bar
@ 2003-11-04  8:18       ` Adam Hardy
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3097.1067933984.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Adam Hardy @ 2003-11-04  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 10/27/2003 01:53 PM Reiner Steib wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27 2003, someone asked per private mail:
> Create a new one.  The name is »~/.Xresources« -- the dot was missing
> in my previous posting.  Normally it's read automatically when the X
> server is started.  If not, you need to enter »xrdb -merge
> ~/.Xresources« or put this in your ~/.xsession (or
> /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession).
>
>>- why is it better to use it? I have all my emacs config stuff in my
>>one .emacs file, and having two places to configure stuff would IMHO
>>not make anything better.
>
> If you do it in »~/.emacs«, Emacs starts *with* a tool bar (which
> obviously doesn't make much sense) and removes it later.  Compare the
> two calls below.  You'll see that they lead to different sizes of the
> Emacs frame.
>
> emacs -q -no-site-file -xrm 'Emacs.toolBar: 0' -geometry 80x20
>
> emacs -q -no-site-file -xrm 'Emacs.toolBar: 1' -geometry 80x20 \
>   -eval '(tool-bar-mode -1)

I have now got an .Xresources file and have neatly got rid of my menu,
tool and scrollbars. However in KDE, my emacs icon is set to launch
emacs with this:

kstart --maximize emacs %f

and somehow it is not maximizing it properly. There is a 1 cm gap
between the bottom of emacs and my KDE menu.

I just checked over my .emacs file and unless I've gone blind, there's
nothing in there affecting it.

Thanks
Adam

--
GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on Linux 2.4.20 RH9

* Re: getting rid of button bar
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3097.1067933984.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-04 11:05         ` Reiner Steib
       [not found]           ` <mailman.3173.1067987611.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-11-04 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 04 2003, Adam Hardy wrote:

> On 10/27/2003 01:53 PM Reiner Steib wrote:
[ ~/.Xresources vs. ~/.emacs /  toolbar ]
>> If you do it in »~/.emacs«, Emacs starts *with* a tool bar (which
>> obviously doesn't make much sense) and removes it later.  Compare the
>> two calls below.  You'll see that they lead to different sizes of the
>> Emacs frame.
>> emacs -q -no-site-file -xrm 'Emacs.toolBar: 0' -geometry 80x20
>> emacs -q -no-site-file -xrm 'Emacs.toolBar: 1' -geometry 80x20 \
>>   -eval '(tool-bar-mode -1)
>
> I have now got an .Xresources file and have neatly got rid of my
> menu, tool and scrollbars. However in KDE, my emacs icon is set to
> launch emacs with this:
>
> kstart --maximize emacs %f
>
> and somehow it is not maximizing it properly. There is a 1 cm gap
> between the bottom of emacs and my KDE menu.
>
> I just checked over my .emacs file and unless I've gone blind,
> there's nothing in there affecting it.

Do you have all menu bar, tool bar and font settings in the
~/.Xresources file instead of ~/.emacs?  If you switch to a smaller
font or remove tool or menu bar in ~/.emacs (or through customize),
I'd expect such a behavior.

I don't use KDE, so I'm not sure how "kstart" should behave. ... Quick
test: Works for me with "Emacs.toolBar:0"

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: getting rid of button bar
@ 2003-11-04 23:10           ` Adam Hardy
       [not found]           ` <mailman.3173.1067987611.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Adam Hardy @ 2003-11-04 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 11/04/2003 12:05 PM Reiner Steib wrote:
 > On Tue, Nov 04 2003, Adam Hardy wrote:
 >> I have now got an .Xresources file and have neatly got rid of my
 >> menu, tool and scrollbars. However in KDE, my emacs icon is set to
 >> launch emacs with this:
 >>
 >> kstart --maximize emacs %f
 >>
 >> and somehow it is not maximizing it properly. There is a 1 cm gap
 >> between the bottom of emacs and my KDE menu.
 >>
 >> I just checked over my .emacs file and unless I've gone blind,
 >> there's nothing in there affecting it.
 >
 > Do you have all menu bar, tool bar and font settings in the
 > ~/.Xresources file instead of ~/.emacs?  If you switch to a smaller
 > font or remove tool or menu bar in ~/.emacs (or through customize),
 > I'd expect such a behavior.
 >
 > I don't use KDE, so I'm not sure how "kstart" should behave. ... Quick
 > test: Works for me with "Emacs.toolBar:0"

This gap between the bottom of emacs and the menu is caused by:

Emacs.menuBar: 0;

Is that the wrong setting for it?

Adam

--

@ 2003-11-05 15:03             ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-11-05 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 05 2003, Adam Hardy wrote:

> On 11/04/2003 12:05 PM Reiner Steib wrote:
>  > On Tue, Nov 04 2003, Adam Hardy wrote:
[...]
>  >> kstart --maximize emacs %f
[...]
>  > I don't use KDE, so I'm not sure how "kstart" should behave. ... Quick
>  > test: Works for me with "Emacs.toolBar:0"
>
> This gap between the bottom of emacs and the menu is caused by:
>
> Emacs.menuBar: 0;

Are semicolons allowed here?

> Is that the wrong setting for it?

It works for me:

$ echo -e "Emacs.menuBar:0\nEmacs.toolBar:0"|xrdb -load
$ xrdb -query
Emacs.menuBar:  0
Emacs.toolBar:  0
$ kstart --maximize emacs -q -no-site-file

I see a very small gap (less than one line in Emacs) between the
bottom of the Emacs window and the KDE panel.  This is due to the
fact, that Emacs uses an integer number of lines, I guess.

Bye, Reiner.

P.S.: Please stop sending my Emacs questions per PM.  Ask here in the
      newsgroup, like I told you already last time.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: getting rid of button bar
@ 2003-11-06 11:12               ` Adam Hardy
From: Adam Hardy @ 2003-11-06 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 11/05/2003 04:03 PM Reiner Steib wrote:
>>Emacs.menuBar: 0;
>
> Are semicolons allowed here?

I don't know. I hadn't realized they weren't necessary. Guess I do too
much CSS at the moment.

> I see a very small gap (less than one line in Emacs) between the
> bottom of the Emacs window and the KDE panel.  This is due to the
> fact, that Emacs uses an integer number of lines, I guess.

That's what I was talking about. Not a problem, as long as I'm not doing
anything wrong, but it's not down to a rounding error. I tried
increasing my menu height a little to fill the gap, but emacs then
maximized to a little bit smaller again, so the gap reappeared. I would
say that something in the maximize algorithm is not right, to do with
the menu bar not being there.

> P.S.: Please stop sending my Emacs questions per PM.  Ask here in the
>       newsgroup, like I told you already last time.

Oh sorry. Must have been asleep again. Normally I check carefully who's
in the address list.

Tx
Adam

--