all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* align around symbol
@ 2004-05-07 15:05 John Hunter
From: John Hunter @ 2004-05-07 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Suppose I have a region like the following

    '28' : ( '\leftparen', 'cmr10'),
    '5D' : ( ']', 'cmr10'),
    '\oint' : ( 'cmex10', '49'),
    '\bigodot' : ( 'cmex10', '4B'),
    '\bigoplus' : ( 'cmex10', '4D'),

Only one ':' per line.

Is there an easy wan in emacs to get the code to align the : symbols,
ie

    '28'        : ( '\leftparen', 'cmr10'),
    '5D'        : ( ']', 'cmr10'),
    '\oint'     : ( 'cmex10', '49'),
    '\bigodot'  : ( 'cmex10', '4B'),
    '\bigoplus' : ( 'cmex10', '4D'),

Thanks,
John Hunter

* Re: align around symbol
@ 2004-05-07 15:32 ` Lawrence Mitchell
From: Lawrence Mitchell @ 2004-05-07 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Hunter wrote:

> Suppose I have a region like the following

>     '28' : ( '\leftparen', 'cmr10'),
>     '5D' : ( ']', 'cmr10'),
>     '\oint' : ( 'cmex10', '49'),
>     '\bigodot' : ( 'cmex10', '4B'),
>     '\bigoplus' : ( 'cmex10', '4D'),

> Only one ':' per line.

> Is there an easy wan in emacs to get the code to align the : symbols,

[...]

Try M-x align-regexp RET : RET

--
Lawrence Mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* Re: align around symbol
@ 2004-05-07 15:51   ` upro
From: upro @ 2004-05-07 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lawrence Mitchell <wence@gmx.li> writes:

> John Hunter wrote:
>
>> Suppose I have a region like the following
>
>>     '28' : ( '\leftparen', 'cmr10'),
>>     '5D' : ( ']', 'cmr10'),
>>     '\oint' : ( 'cmex10', '49'),
>>     '\bigodot' : ( 'cmex10', '4B'),
>>     '\bigoplus' : ( 'cmex10', '4D'),
>
>> Only one ':' per line.
>
>> Is there an easy wan in emacs to get the code to align the : symbols,
>
> [...]
>
> Try M-x align-regexp RET : RET

WOWWW!!!! No matter how long you use emacs, there's always a surprise!
Great! emacs is the most winderful piece of software _in the world_!!!

Greetings

--
Michael

r-znvy: zvpunry.wryqra  jro.qr (chg gur "@" jurer vg svgf...)
ab fcnz cyrnfr

* Re: align around symbol
@ 2004-05-07 20:22     ` John Hunter
From: John Hunter @ 2004-05-07 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

    upro> WOWWW!!!! No matter how long you use emacs, there's always a
    upro> surprise!  Great! emacs is the most winderful piece of
    upro> software _in the world_!!!

I feel the same way.  I've been using nothing but emacs for 6 or 7
years for everything I do on a computer, but this little trick escaped
my notice and is very useful!

JDH

* Re: align around symbol
@ 2004-05-09 16:57   ` Galen Boyer