all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Full Screen
@ 2004-09-07 16:22 Paul Thompson
From: Paul Thompson @ 2004-09-07 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can I get Emacs to start full screen?

Thanks
Paul

* Re: Full Screen
@ 2004-09-07 17:06 ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2004-09-07 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Thompson <pault@HiWAAY.net> writes:

> How can I get Emacs to start full screen?

Emacs 21.4 will have a '--fullscreen' argument.  If you're so
inclined, you can try the cvs version of emacs which has this
functionality already.
--
Benjamin Rutt

* Re: Full Screen
@ 2004-09-07 19:09   ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2004-09-07 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Benjamin Rutt <rutt.4+news@osu.edu> writes:

>Paul Thompson <pault@HiWAAY.net> writes:
>
>> How can I get Emacs to start full screen?
>
>Emacs 21.4 will have a '--fullscreen' argument.  If you're so
>inclined, you can try the cvs version of emacs which has this
>functionality already.
>--
>Benjamin Rutt

For earlier versions, you can get close to what you want by adding to
the default-frame-alist

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(top . 0))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(left . 0))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 70))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(width . 150))

Obviously you'll need to twaddle the height and width numbers to
whatever fills your screen using the font of your choice.  The easiest
way to discover those numbers is to use the mouse to get emacs set the
way you want, and then

1) switch to the *scratch* buffer
2) enter (frame-parameters)
3) put the cursor after the closing paren, and hit CTRL-j

Emacs will respond with a list of your frame params.  Somewhere in the
list will be the height and width values for the current frame.

--
Mike Slass