all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to refresh a buffer?
@ 2007-02-05 16:40 Vols
From: Vols @ 2007-02-05 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, group,

I opened a file in Emacs and found it was read-only. I use the
terminal command "chmod +w file.cpp" to make it writable. After I
return to Emacs the file is still read-only. I have to close this file
and re-open it.
How to refresh this buffer? Thanks.

Vol

* Re: How to refresh a buffer?
@ 2007-02-05 16:55 ` HS
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: HS @ 2007-02-05 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Try this:
(defun reload-file ()
  (interactive)
  (find-file (buffer-name)))

You can also change if the BUFFER is read only with toggle-read-only.

If you find out a way of configuring emacs to tell you when a buffer
is modified, please tell me.

Cheers,
HS

On 5 fev, 13:40, "Vols" <volunte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, group,
>
> I opened a file in Emacs and found it was read-only. I use the
> terminal command "chmod +w file.cpp" to make it writable. After I
> return to Emacs the file is still read-only. I have to close this file
> and re-open it.
> How to refresh this buffer? Thanks.
>
> Vol

* Re: How to refresh a buffer?
@ 2007-02-05 17:08 ` Marc Tfardy
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Marc Tfardy @ 2007-02-05 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Vols schrieb:
> Hi, group,
>
> I opened a file in Emacs and found it was read-only. I use the
> terminal command "chmod +w file.cpp" to make it writable. After I
> return to Emacs the file is still read-only. I have to close this file
> and re-open it.
> How to refresh this buffer? Thanks.

M-x revert-buffer

regards

Marc

* Re: How to refresh a buffer?
@ 2007-02-05 17:13 ` Pascal Bourguignon
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2007-02-05 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Vols" <volunteers@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, group,
>
> I opened a file in Emacs and found it was read-only. I use the
> terminal command "chmod +w file.cpp" to make it writable. After I
> return to Emacs the file is still read-only. I have to close this file
> and re-open it.
> How to refresh this buffer? Thanks.

M-x revert-buffer RET

CONSUMER NOTICE: Because of the "uncertainty principle," it is
impossible for the consumer to simultaneously know both the precise
location and velocity of this product.

* RE: How to refresh a buffer?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-02-05 17:44 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-02-05 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vols, help-gnu-emacs

> I opened a file in Emacs and found it was read-only. I use the
> terminal command "chmod +w file.cpp" to make it writable. After I
> return to Emacs the file is still read-only. I have to close this file
> and re-open it. How to refresh this buffer?

M-x revert-buffer

* Re: How to refresh a buffer?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-02-05 18:41 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2007-02-05 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5 Feb 2007 08:40:41 -0800 Vols wrote:

> I opened a file in Emacs and found it was read-only. I use the
> terminal command "chmod +w file.cpp" to make it writable. After I
> return to Emacs the file is still read-only. I have to close this file
> and re-open it.
> How to refresh this buffer? Thanks.

`toggle-read-only' C-x C-q is what you need.  You don't need to chmod
the file then.  Emacs will save it anyway (if it has the permission to
do so) after confirmation.

David

* Re: How to refresh a buffer?
@ 2007-02-06  7:25   ` Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2007-02-06  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>H> Try this:
>H> (defun reload-file ()
>H>   (interactive)
>H>   (find-file (buffer-name)))

buffer-name => buffer-file-name (but revert-buffer is a better solution)
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: piet@vanoostrum.org

* Re: How to refresh a buffer?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-02-06  7:35 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-02-06  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Vols" <volunteers@gmail.com> writes:

> I opened a file in Emacs and found it was read-only. I use the
> terminal command "chmod +w file.cpp" to make it writable. After I
> return to Emacs the file is still read-only. I have to close this
> file and re-open it.

No need to close it. You can try C-x C-v, `find-alternate-file'. It
will prompt you for a new file but offer the current one, so you only
need to type RET to open it again.