all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* image on splash screen (svg vs. png)
@ 2009-02-04 20:34 Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2009-02-04 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Before I got the SVG support working, I had the splash.png
image on the splash screen, and it looks really good!

Now, with SVG support working, I get the splash.svg image
which is far from the quality of the .png image - thus
giving the user a non-optimal welcome screen.

I suggest giving the PNG image priority over the other
formats.

BTW, if I use dired on the etc/images directory and open
the .png or .pbm images, I see the image, while if I open
the .xpm or .svg images, I get the source code rather than
the image ... which is rather obscure (I think the ratio
view image / edit image is close to 99:1 so I see very little
reason for the current behaviour).

I remember a talk about this a long time ago (I think it
was Juri) that discussed ways to have image-minor-mode
show the image rather than text initially - but maybe that
was rejected or forgotten about. Please reconsider this.