all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Dead circumflex?
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 09:46:07 +0200	[thread overview]

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

> Hmm. Maybe scim modified something. Is there anything in your .emacs
> that looks suspicious.
Not really.
> Have you discovered why C-x Ret C-\ does not
> work?
No.
> Is this on Linux?
Yes, both Debian and Ubuntu.
> Is there an Xmodmap keyboard config around
> anywhere?
No.
> If you chose latin-1-postfix, what does e^ produce other
> than the non existent deadkey warning.
I cannot choose latin1-postfix. Note that I have two computers:
- - On the laptop, running Ubuntu, the circumflex is well placed under
all the other applications. The only app where it does not work is
Emacs.
- - On the other, running Debian, the circumflex is always put near the
letter, but never at its top, as I want it to be.

On both computers, Emacs treats it as <dead-circumflex> being
undefined.

> I assume that the caret key on
> keyboard matches where it should be on the Fr layout.  If you can get
> anything in by hook or crook, does C-x = show something like this,
> mutatis mutandis:
>
> Char: ê (2282, #o4352, #x8ea, file ...) point=2 of 5152 (0%) column=0
> Char: ^ (94, #o136, #x5e) point=2 of 5154 (0%) column=0

It shows info for all the characters, but as I cannot type the
circumflex in Emacs, I can't figure out which message it could display
for it.

> This is on ver 22.3
>
> If I install a Fr keyboard on w32 (2000) and with input method
> latin-1-postfix, because of the French keyboard, input works
> backwards, i.e press caret (to right of p) and then e, produces
> circumflex e but it is still reported as:
>
> Char: ê (2282, #o4352, #x8ea, file ...)
Lucky you. Ok.

> Same behavior with dieresis or umlaut: dead key invisible until next
> key pressed. In fact I can find no backslash on the French keyboard at
> all.
I have the same problem with dieresis or umlaut. It then shows,
e.g. for dieresis: <S-dead-dieresis> not defined.

> Another possibility is to set the keyboard to English via the OS and
> then chose one of the French input methods via Mule. That way you
> would at least have a backslash. Most if not all vowels with
> diacritics are on the number keys.
I tried it. The situation keeps being the same. Note that, as I said
above, I can type a backlash, and other strange characters, but
dieresis and circumflex accent do not work.

- --
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.