all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs terribly slow
@ 2009-08-04  5:51 ` Maindoor
From: Maindoor @ 2009-08-04  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    I'm using emacs 23.0.91.1 and i load a few files using load-file
    in my .emacs file like session, hide-mode-line, uniquify, color-theme
    bs.el etc. but lately its become very very slow. Emacs it seems is
    panting and running out of breath when i open a file or when I browse
    around the file. Is there any way to optimize for speed ?

Regards,
Maindoor.

* Re: Emacs terribly slow
@ 2009-08-04 16:21   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-04 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Maindoor; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Maindoor<sanjeevfiles@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>     I'm using emacs 23.0.91.1 and i load a few files using load-file
>     in my .emacs file like session, hide-mode-line, uniquify, color-theme
>     bs.el etc. but lately its become very very slow. Emacs it seems is
>     panting and running out of breath when i open a file or when I browse
>     around the file. Is there any way to optimize for speed ?

Hi Maindoor,

Did you try removing stuff from your .emacs?

* Re: Emacs terribly slow
       [not found] <mailman.3852.1249399507.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-05  7:39 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-08-05  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Maindoor <sanjeevfiles@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>     I'm using emacs 23.0.91.1 and i load a few files using load-file
>     in my .emacs file like session, hide-mode-line, uniquify,
> color-theme
>     bs.el etc. but lately its become very very slow. Emacs it seems is
>     panting and running out of breath when i open a file or when I
> browse
>     around the file. Is there any way to optimize for speed ?
>
> Regards,
> Maindoor.

That is a pretty old version of emacs 23 dev tree. Emacs 23.1 is out
now and I'd recommend upgrading to it and see if the problem still
exists. As 23.0.91 was a dev snapshot and as it is quie a few months
old, it is likely that it is some transient problem that was fixed in
later versions.

I'm currently running 23.1.50  and there are no speed issues I've
noticed.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Emacs terribly slow
@ 2009-08-06  6:46     ` Maindoor
From: Maindoor @ 2009-08-06  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Yes. But its not much and they don't make a lot of difference.

Is it possible to tell emacs not to load particular set of modules like
i don't ever want to load viper. things like that..so that it becomes
sleek and fast.

       [not found] <mailman.4069.1249591599.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-07  2:06 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-08-07  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 5, 11:46 pm, Maindoor <sanjeevfi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes. But its not much and they don't make a lot of difference.
>
> Is it possible to tell emacs not to load particular set of modules like
> i don't ever want to load viper. things like that..so that it becomes
> sleek and fast.
>
> Regards,
> Maindoor.

maindoor,

make sure the slowness you seen is not due to your .emacs or something
else.

Start emacs from the command like like this: emacs -Q

measure the time, compare it to your normal emacs launching. If using
emacs -Q is much faster, then, we know the problem is probably
your .emacs.

Now, the next step is to determine if there is something weired other
than loading the customization you have in your .emacs. For example,
some syntax error, or something in your .emacs that causes network
access, will drag your emacs startup time down. So, i'd check if
there's anything like that. How many lines is your .emacs anyway?

i have few thousand lines in my .emacs, and most calling out packages
that are not even compiled... generally speaking, piling things in
your .emacs shouldn't be a problem on today's machines. (is your
machine very old, by chance?) But in any case, when you sure you don't
have anything weird, the next step is to reduce loading uncessary
packages, or have them compiled, or use autoload instead of load or
require so that they get loaded only when you actually use that
feature. Recently someone posted about how to opitize this last
step... and am sure emacs wiki has a lot info.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread