all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Remove minibuffer message after appending to file
@ 2009-10-06  6:34 Sebastien
From: Sebastien @ 2009-10-06  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is it possible to remove the text

"Added to <filename>"

which appears in the minibuffer after appending text to a file via

(append-to-file min max filename)
or
(write-region min max filename t)  ?

The souce code generating the message is in "fileio.c"  in the
function Fwrite_region .

  if (!auto_saving)
    message_with_string ((INTEGERP (append)
			  ? "Updated %s"
			  : ! NILP (append)
			  ? "Added to %s"
			  : "Wrote %s"),
			 visit_file, 1);

It would be nice to have a technique to bypass the message_with_string
function.

Regards,
Sebastien

* Re: Remove minibuffer message after appending to file
@ 2009-10-06 12:12 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-10-06 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastien <us021121@yahoo.com> writes:

> Is it possible to remove the text
>
> "Added to <filename>"
>
> which appears in the minibuffer after appending text to a file via
>
> (append-to-file min max filename)
> or
> (write-region min max filename t)  ?

Yes, call (message "")

(progn
  (or (append-to-file min max filename)
      (write-region min max filename t))
  (message ""))

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Remove minibuffer message after appending to file
@ 2009-10-06 20:23   ` Sebastien
From: Sebastien @ 2009-10-06 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 6, 2:12 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> Sebastien <us021...@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Is it possible to remove the text
>
> > "Added to <filename>"
>
> > which appears in the minibuffer after appending text to a file via
>
> > (append-to-file min max filename)
> > or
> > (write-region min max filename t)  ?
>
> Yes, call (message "")
>
> (progn
>   (or (append-to-file min max filename)
>       (write-region min max filename t))
>   (message ""))
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__

With  (message "") , the "Added to ..." text is overwritten and
therefore not visible.
It would be great if the text is not written at all  (with emacs -Q
startup, the text still appears)...

* Re: Remove minibuffer message after appending to file
@ 2009-10-06 21:12     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-10-06 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastien <us021121@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Oct 6, 2:12 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> wrote:
>> Sebastien <us021...@yahoo.com> writes:
>> > Is it possible to remove the text
>>
>> > "Added to <filename>"
>>
>> > which appears in the minibuffer after appending text to a file via
>>
>> > (append-to-file min max filename)
>> > or
>> > (write-region min max filename t)  ?
>>
>> Yes, call (message "")
>>
>> (progn
>>   (or (append-to-file min max filename)
>>       (write-region min max filename t))
>>   (message ""))
>>
>> --
>> __Pascal Bourguignon__
>
> With  (message "") , the "Added to ..." text is overwritten and
> therefore not visible.
> It would be great if the text is not written at all  (with emacs -Q
> startup, the text still appears)...

You know enough, and have enough freedom, to make it so.  Why are you
asking?  Do you want an official permission?  What form would it take?
Would a copy of the GPL printed on parchment and signed by Richard
Stallman be enough?  Would it have to be hand caligraphied by him?
Written with his own blood?

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Remove minibuffer message after appending to file
@ 2009-10-06 23:37 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-10-06 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastien wrote:

> Is it possible to remove the text
>
> "Added to <filename>"
>
> which appears in the minibuffer after appending text to a file via
>
> (append-to-file min max filename)
> or
> (write-region min max filename t)  ?

(defun my-append-to-file (start end filename)
  "Like `append-to-file', but silent."
  (interactive "r\nFAppend to file: ")
  (write-region start end filename t 1))
;                                    ^
;                                    |

* Re: Remove minibuffer message after appending to file
@ 2009-10-07 19:28   ` Sebastien
From: Sebastien @ 2009-10-07 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 7, 1:37 am, Glenn Morris <rgm+n...@stanford.edu> wrote:

> (defun my-append-to-file (start end filename)
>   "Like `append-to-file', but silent."
>   (interactive "r\nFAppend to file: ")
>   (write-region start end filename t 1))

It works fine using the fifth argument in the write-region call.