all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Embedding Emacs in other apps
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 09:01:42 +0200	[thread overview]

> Lennart Borgman writes:
>
>  > I think we are in a hurry. The Vim developers are also working on
>  > xembed. We must of course be first ;-)
>
> Forget being first.  XEmacs has had it since 1998 at the latest.

So either the feature's potential is overhyped, its use in the existing
XEmacs implementation is too complex to be used by a "typical"
developer, or something else is amiss.

> Concentrate on being best, instead.

Based on your experience with XEmacs, would you have suggestions what
uses this feature has been _advertised_ for (perhaps it was so easy to
get in that no advertisement was needed and consequently nobody got
interested enough to try it?), and what made the advertisements, if any,
fall short in execution of their promises?

It is a good goal to concentrate on being best, but we need to think
about best for exactly _what_.

--
David Kastrup