all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: jidanni@jidanni.org
To: david@harpegolden.net
Cc: 6720@debbugs.gnu.org, 6635@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#6720: battle with x-clipboard vs. Chinese
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 09:08:58 +0800	[thread overview]

DDLHG> On 24/07/10 18:36, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>> I just updated to
>> emacs-snapshot:
>> Installed: 1:20100724-1
>> and am having to battle getting Chinese in correctly from the X
>> clipboard.
>> It is turning into ###, ???, \u{5432}, etc. etc.

DDLHG> Do you see this when using middle mouse button or C-y or both?

All I know is starting with
   $ apt-cache policy emacs-snapshot
   emacs-snapshot:
     Installed: 1:20100724-1
     Candidate: 1:20100724-1
     Version table:
    *** 1:20100724-1 0
           500 http://emacs.orebokech.com sid/main Packages
           100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I am having two kinds of pain:

1. Having to write things into /tmp/files to be able to read them into
emacs correctly as xclip now can't if I want Chinese intact.
I try every button and end up having to resort to /tmp.

2. Even more disconnection between C-y, Shift-insert, the middle mouse
button, between emacs and the outside world. I wish I could make them
all connected.

DDLHG> This sounds like it might be bug #6635, an encoding handling problem
DDLHG> in mouse-yank-primary, which could affect people more due to recent
DDLHG> changes:

DDLHG> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6635