all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Call in the SWAT team to shoot emacs but spare Firefox
@ 2011-07-28  5:00 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-07-28  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I can't take it any longer.
I start Firefox by one of the million ways one can there in emacs.
Then hours later I wish to quit emacs, but...
   Active processes exist; kill them and exit anyway? (yes or no)
That's right. Emacs demands taking Firefox along with it to the grave,
It's either that, or it refuses to quit.
What do I have to do? Call in the SWAT team to shoot emacs but spare
its hostage Firefox? Yeah well I bet emacs has wrapped a bomb around
them both so there will be no survivors ("Shoot me and I'll take out the
whole process tree, motherf***er!")
So does one need to write a batch(1) job wrapper script to start Firefox
away from the hands of terrorism? Why can't there be a third answer to
   Active processes exist; kill them and exit anyway? (yes or no)
i.e., "No. Don't kill them, but exit anyway."
What kind of cheap 2nd hand Woolworth's software can't do that these days?

* Re: Call in the SWAT team to shoot emacs but spare Firefox
       [not found] <mailman.385.1311829237.939.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-07-28  5:05 ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-07-28  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

And P.S., there might be more than one active process, so be sure to
allow the user to pick and choose and don't just give an all or nothing
solution... when fixing this in the emacs trunk.

@ 2011-07-28  5:10 ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-07-28  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

And don't just say
> start Firefox from another windo outside emacs
as that is avoiding the issue.
> No reason to exit emacs till the end of the work day anyway
What if emacs gets "messed up" and one wants to restart it without
disturbing other processes?

* Re: Call in the SWAT team to shoot emacs but spare Firefox
@ 2011-07-28  6:49 ` Jonathan Groll
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2011-07-28  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:00:29 +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> I can't take it any longer.
> I start Firefox by one of the million ways one can there in emacs.
> Then hours later I wish to quit emacs, but...
>   Active processes exist; kill them and exit anyway? (yes or no)
> That's right. Emacs demands taking Firefox along with it to the grave,
> It's either that, or it refuses to quit.
> What do I have to do? Call in the SWAT team to shoot emacs but spare
> its hostage Firefox? Yeah well I bet emacs has wrapped a bomb around
> them both so there will be no survivors ("Shoot me and I'll take out the
> whole process tree, motherf***er!")
> So does one need to write a batch(1) job wrapper script to start Firefox
> away from the hands of terrorism? Why can't there be a third answer to
>   Active processes exist; kill them and exit anyway? (yes or no)
> i.e., "No. Don't kill them, but exit anyway."
> What kind of cheap 2nd hand Woolworth's software can't do that these days?

Heck, must have missed the Free Software stand in my local Woolworths.

Would be helpful to know what OS this is for.

In any case, there is a page on the emacswiki that handles exactly
this - Persistent Processes:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PersistentProcesses

Cheers,
Jonathan
--
jjg: Jonathan J. Groll : groll co za
has_one { :blog => "http://bloggroll.com" }

* Re: Call in the SWAT team to shoot emacs but spare Firefox
       [not found] <88e85a57-9a77-4b55-ab16-9c7db2e088db@r11g2000prd.googlegroups.com>
@ 2011-08-01 22:41 ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-08-01 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xahlee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1
$ BROWSER=firefox emacs -Q -nw
M-x browse-url example.com
C-x C-c
Active processes exist; kill them and exit anyway? (yes or no)

Try it.

* Re: Call in the SWAT team to shoot emacs but spare Firefox
@ 2011-08-03 18:01   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2011-08-03 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8/1/11 4:41 PM, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> $ emacs --version
> GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1
> $ BROWSER=firefox emacs -Q -nw
> M-x browse-url example.com
> C-x C-c
> Active processes exist; kill them and exit anyway? (yes or no)

set-process-query-on-exit-flag

The return value of browse-url-default-browser and the various browse-
url-default-*-browser functions isn't documented, but they look like they
return the asynchronous process, so perhaps they could be advised to call
(set-process-query-on-exit-flag ad-return-value nil).

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Call in the SWAT team to shoot emacs but spare Firefox
@ 2011-08-04  6:43   ` Jonathan Groll
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2011-08-04  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 06:41:30 +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> $ emacs --version
> GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1
> $ BROWSER=firefox emacs -Q -nw

Try "nohup firefox" in the above, as myself and others on this thread
have suggested.

Also, it would help to know your OS - the above won't work under
windows, for instance.

Cheers,
Jonathan