all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* all I wanted to do was make the compilation-mode-hook the sole visible buffer
@ 2011-11-27  7:28 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-11-27  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

All I wanted to do was make the compilation-mode-hook the sole visible buffer.
(setq
 compilation-mode-hook
 (function
  (lambda ()
    (delete-other-windows);doesn't work, so try:
;   (enlarge-window 111);window-resize: Cannot resize the root window of a frame
    )))

Please don't tell me about frames again.
All I want to do is make this work.

* Re: all I wanted to do was make the compilation-mode-hook the sole visible buffer
@ 2011-11-27  7:28 ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-11-27  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I see, I must first do switch-to-buffer,
(setq
 compilation-mode-hook
 (function
  (lambda ()
    (switch-to-buffer "*compilation*")
    (delete-other-windows))))
OK. Solved.

* Re: all I wanted to do was make the compilation-mode-hook the sole visible buffer
@ 2011-11-29 10:56   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2011-11-29 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: jidanni; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Have you tried:

  (add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*compilation*")

?

* Re: all I wanted to do was make the compilation-mode-hook the sole visible buffer
@ 2011-11-30  2:36     ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-11-30  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: ttn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

TN> (add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*compilation*")
Perfect! Thanks!

* Re: all I wanted to do was make the compilation-mode-hook the sole visible buffer
@ 2011-11-30  3:46     ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-11-30  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: ttn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

TN>   (add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*compilation*")
It turns out that is not what I want. I want it to be the sole window visible.
OK, I can use
(add-hook
 'compilation-mode-hook
 (function
  (lambda ()
    (switch-to-buffer "*compilation*");alas, forget using any personal compilation-buffer-name-function
    (delete-other-windows))))

* Re: all I wanted to do was make the compilation-mode-hook the sole visible buffer
@ 2011-11-30  9:03       ` Valentin Baciu
From: Valentin Baciu @ 2011-11-30  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: jidanni; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 5:46 AM, <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:

> TN>   (add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*compilation*")
> It turns out that is not what I want. I want it to be the sole window
> visible.
> OK, I can use
> (add-hook
>  'compilation-mode-hook
>  (function
>  (lambda ()
>    (switch-to-buffer "*compilation*");alas, forget using any personal
> compilation-buffer-name-function
>    (delete-other-windows))))

I believe that the hook function will be executed in the context of the
compilation buffer so you may not need to call 'switch-to-buffer. Also, the
'function' form is unnecessary (in general, not just in this particular
example). You could reduce your code to:

(add-hook 'compilation-mode-hook 'delete-other-windows)

Now you can use the 'remove-hook function if you decide you no longer need
the hook; approach which does not work when you add anonymous functions as
hook functions.

* Re: all I wanted to do was make the compilation-mode-hook the sole visible buffer
@ 2011-11-30 12:23         ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-11-30 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: valentin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

VB> (add-hook 'compilation-mode-hook 'delete-other-windows)
Very elegant however it doesn't work.
emacs-version "24.0.91.1"

* Re: all I wanted to do was make the compilation-mode-hook the sole visible buffer
@ 2011-12-06 14:37           ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2011-12-06 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

() jidanni@jidanni.org
() Wed, 30 Nov 2011 20:23:35 +0800

   VB> (add-hook 'compilation-mode-hook 'delete-other-windows)
   Very elegant however it doesn't work.
   emacs-version "24.0.91.1"

(defun solipsistic-child (process)
  "Me, me, look at me!"
  (with-current-buffer (process-buffer process)
    (delete-other-windows)))

(add-hook 'compilation-start-hook 'solipsistic-child)