all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Slow response in GNU Emacs 23.4
@ 2012-02-10 23:03 Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2012-02-10 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.  I have successful used GNU Emacs 23.2 that comes with Debian
Squeeze on my I32 machine.  Yesterday I decided to download the latest
release from gnu.org, GNU Emacs 23.4.  Then I built it with Athena
Toolkit and with -O3 gcc flag.  Now Emacs works wonderful except by one
thing: its response time is very high.  It takes a half of second to
notice that I press a key.  Does anyone know what could be a possible
source of this problem?

Thanks in advance.

PS:

Some useful information:

In GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2012-02-08 on felix-laptop
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
configured using `configure  '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-O3''

--
Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix)

* Re: Slow response in GNU Emacs 23.4
@ 2012-02-10 23:16 ` Aaron Meurer
From: Aaron Meurer @ 2012-02-10 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I guess the first thing you should do is test it with emacs -Q, which
will run without loading your .emacs file or any other configuration.
If it works fine there, then you should bisect your config file.
Otherwise, the problem lies elsewhere.

Aaron Meurer

@ 2012-02-10 23:46 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-02-10 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.2.2012 um 00:03 schrieb Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro:

> Does anyone know what could be a possible source of this problem?

System overloaded? What is 'top -o cpu' showing? Could be GNU Emacs 23.4 is looping due to something in the init files.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Real Time, adj.:
	Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there and then.

* Re: Slow response in GNU Emacs 23.4
@ 2012-02-11  5:04   ` Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2012-02-11  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The same occurs if I start emacs with -Q option.  But I noticed
something interesting.  If I run a server instance of emacs in X and
then start a client in a text terminal, either xterm or native text
mode, the instance in X yet suffers by delay but the other (in text
terminal) don't.  What could be causing this?
--
Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix)

Ps: Please, let me know my english errors

* Re: Slow response in GNU Emacs 23.4
@ 2012-02-11  5:10   ` Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2012-02-11  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 11.2.2012 um 00:03 schrieb Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro:
>
>> Does anyone know what could be a possible source of this problem?
>
> System overloaded? What is 'top -o cpu' showing? Could be GNU Emacs 23.4 is looping due to something in the init files.

According my followup to Aaron Meurer It couldn't be.
--

@ 2012-02-11 23:22 ` Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2012-02-11 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

oitofelix@gmail.com (Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro) writes:

> Hello.  I have successful used GNU Emacs 23.2 that comes with Debian
> Squeeze on my I32 machine.  Yesterday I decided to download the latest
> release from gnu.org, GNU Emacs 23.4.  Then I built it with Athena
> Toolkit and with -O3 gcc flag.  Now Emacs works wonderful except by one
> thing: its response time is very high.  It takes a half of second to
> notice that I press a key.  Does anyone know what could be a possible
> source of this problem?

I discovered the reason behind this problem.  In my home, I often use my
netbook (the machine running GNU Emacs 23.4) connected to a big external
display by VGA output.  Today, I used the LVDS screen and guess you what
happened?  The problem disappeared.  This seems consistent with the problem only
showing up under X frames of Emacs.  I'm now wondering why it's
happening only when I connect to the external screen.  The only thing I
could think is the stretch transformation rule that I have configured by
xrandr as follow:

xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1024x600 --auto --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768 --scale 1x0.78125 --auto

Any idea?  It could be a bug in Emacs?
--

@ 2012-02-14 20:51   ` Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2012-02-14 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

oitofelix@gmail.com (Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro) writes:

> oitofelix@gmail.com (Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro) writes:
>
>> Hello.  I have successful used GNU Emacs 23.2 that comes with Debian
>> Squeeze on my I32 machine.  Yesterday I decided to download the latest
>> release from gnu.org, GNU Emacs 23.4.  Then I built it with Athena
>> Toolkit and with -O3 gcc flag.  Now Emacs works wonderful except by one
>> thing: its response time is very high.  It takes a half of second to
>> notice that I press a key.  Does anyone know what could be a possible
>> source of this problem?
>>

> I discovered the reason behind this problem.  In my home, I often use my
> netbook (the machine running GNU Emacs 23.4) connected to a big external
> display by VGA output.  Today, I used the LVDS screen and guess you what
> happened?  The problem disappeared.  This seems consistent with the problem only
> showing up under X frames of Emacs.  I'm now wondering why it's
> happening only when I connect to the external screen.  The only thing I
> could think is the stretch transformation rule that I have configured by
> xrandr as follow:
>
> xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1024x600 --auto --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768 --scale 1x0.78125 --auto
>
> Any idea?  It could be a bug in Emacs?

Indeed! It's all "--scale" parameter fault. xrandr's stretch
transformation rule was causing that trouble.  Really it isn't a Emacs
bug.  I just replaced that call to xrandr with the following:

xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024

Now I'm using a native resolution and disabling the LVDS screen that I
don't need at home.  That way, I also won the benefit to improve my
resolution.

It's perfect.  My Emacs on a big screen, big resolution, full speed and
 full screen (without borders, title bar, scroll bar, menu bar and tool
 bar).  It isn't the heaven?

--

@ 2012-02-15 21:46     ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2012-02-15 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2/14/2012 3:51 PM, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:

> Now I'm using a native resolution and disabling the LVDS screen that I
> don't need at home.  That way, I also won the benefit to improve my
> resolution.

I've found that, in general, LCDs do best at their native resolution.
Anything else and they get fuzzy and do strange things.

* Re: Slow response in GNU Emacs 23.4
       [not found] <877gzvwoob.fsf@felix-laptop.gnung>
@ 2015-10-28 18:37 ` Bill
From: Bill @ 2015-10-28 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 6:51:48 PM UTC-5, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:
> Hello.  I have successful used GNU Emacs 23.2 that comes with Debian
> Squeeze on my I32 machine.  Yesterday I decided to download the latest
> release from gnu.org, GNU Emacs 23.4.  Then I built it with Athena
> Toolkit and with -O3 gcc flag.  Now Emacs works wonderful except by one
> thing: its response time is very high.  It takes a half of second to
> notice that I press a key.  Does anyone know what could be a possible
> source of this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> PS:
>
> Some useful information:
>
> In GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
>  of 2012-02-08 on felix-laptop
> Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
> configured using `configure  '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-O3''
>
> --
> Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix)
>
> Ps: Please, let me know my english errors

just restarted emacs using -nw and the problem went away; this is on Centos 7 VM; No issue on Centos 6.x; something changed between the centos versions in X;