At Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:12:27 -0400, Glenn Morris wrote: > > > Just to comment that there is also ange-ftp-parse-netrc, which looks > like it might handle newlines. I don't know why Emacs needs this and > also netrc-parse (and also tramp-parse-netrc). And, in fact, it seems my problem with auth-source-netrc-parse, which url.el uses. So: netrc-parse, tramp-parse-netrc, and auth-source-netrc-parse all do not handle linefeeds in ~/.netrc files. ange-ftp-parse-netrc, on the other hand, does. For what it’s worth, I didn’t create a ~/.netrc file myself with linefeeds; it was created for me by other software. best, Erik