(My NIC card went down during earlier sent. Apologies if it results in duplicate bug) It will be wonderful if ucs-insert shows the characters visually in the completion buffer. Here is a proof-of-concept. Install an annotation function. (setq completion-extra-properties (list :annotation-function 'annotate-ucs-names)) (defun annotate-ucs-names (name) (format "(%s)" (char-to-string (cdr (assoc-string name (ucs-names) t))))) M-x insert-char RET will give screenshot 1. Note the presence of characters visually next to char names. I would have wised to place the the glyphs come before the description. Now let us install a small /hack/ to minibuffer as shown below. The result is as shown in screenshot 2, which I would much prefer. (Ofcourse, the insertion itself wouldn't work) Following two things emerge from this experiment. 1. Annotation may go infront of the candidate. 2. Annotation may provide a substitution for visual feedback etc etc.