all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to *force* a UTF-8 coding when visiting a file?
@ 2013-01-08 17:12 kj
       [not found] ` <mailman.16945.1357666615.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: kj @ 2013-01-08 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Short of adding "-*- coding: utf-8 -*-" to the beginning of a file,
is there a way to *force* Emacs to assume a UTF-8 coding?

I have found that slight corruptions to a file can easily throw
off whatever heuristics Emacs uses to guess a file's encoding.
For such situations it would be useful to be able to tell Emacs
explicitly what coding to use when visiting a file.  IOW, I'm
looking for the "unobtrusive" equivalent to adding "-*- coding:
utf-8 -*-" at the beginning of the file.

thanks in advance!

* Re: How to *force* a UTF-8 coding when visiting a file?
@ 2013-01-08 17:36 ` Jambunathan K
       [not found] ` <mailman.16945.1357666615.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-01-08 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

,---- (info "(emacs) Specify Coding")

`----

@ 2013-01-08 20:13   ` kj
From: kj @ 2013-01-08 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In <mailman.16945.1357666615.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:

>kj <no.email@please.post> writes:

>> Short of adding "-*- coding: utf-8 -*-" to the beginning of a file,
>> is there a way to *force* Emacs to assume a UTF-8 coding?
>>
>> I have found that slight corruptions to a file can easily throw
>> off whatever heuristics Emacs uses to guess a file's encoding.
>> For such situations it would be useful to be able to tell Emacs
>> explicitly what coding to use when visiting a file.  IOW, I'm
>> looking for the "unobtrusive" equivalent to adding "-*- coding:
>> utf-8 -*-" at the beginning of the file.

>,---- (info "(emacs) Specify Coding")
>|
>| 22.8 Specifying a File's Coding System
>| ======================================
>|
>| If Emacs recognizes the encoding of a file incorrectly, you can reread
>| the file using the correct coding system with `C-x <RET> r'
>| (`revert-buffer-with-coding-system').  This command prompts for the
>| coding system to use.  To see what coding system Emacs actually used to
>| decode the file, look at the coding system mnemonic letter near the
>| left edge of the mode line (*note Mode Line::), or type `C-h C'
>| (`describe-coding-system').
>|
>|    You can specify the coding system for a particular file in the file
>| itself, using the `-*-...-*-' construct at the beginning, or a local
>| variables list at the end (*note File Variables::).  You do this by
>| defining a value for the "variable" named `coding'.  Emacs does not
>| really have a variable `coding'; instead of setting a variable, this
>| uses the specified coding system for the file.  For example, `-*-mode:
>| C; coding: latin-1;-*-' specifies use of the Latin-1 coding system, as
>| well as C mode.  When you specify the coding explicitly in the file,
>| that overrides `file-coding-system-alist'.
>|
>`----

Exactly!  Thanks!