all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Recognizing active/inactive mode-line in (:eval ...) form in mode-line-string
@ 2013-02-28 11:25 Alessandro Piras
From: Alessandro Piras @ 2013-02-28 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a way to know if the mode-line is active in a (:eval ...)
form inside the mode-line-string?

A simple example:
mode-line-string =>
   ("%e" (:eval (if <condition> "foo" "bar")))

I would like to see "foo" on the mode-line of the active window,
"bar" on the others.

--
AP

* Re: Recognizing active/inactive mode-line in (:eval ...) form in mode-line-string
       [not found] <mailman.21116.1362070608.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-03-01 19:21 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-03-01 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alessandro Piras <laynor@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to know if the mode-line is active in a (:eval ...)
> form inside the mode-line-string?
>
> A simple example:
> mode-line-string =>
>    ("%e" (:eval (if <condition> "foo" "bar")))
>
> I would like to see "foo" on the mode-line of the active window,
> "bar" on the others.

This is a very good question!

AFAICT, when the mode-line of any window is calculated, it is
temporarily selected.  This would mean that such a condition doesn't
exist.  So, you'll need some trick, e.g. something like

(add-hook 'post-command-hook
          (lambda () (setq my-selected-window (selected-window))))

(push '(:eval (if (eq (selected-window) my-selected-window)
                  "foo" "bar")) default-mode-line-format)

i.e., try to remember and update the selected window in a global
variable.  Probably this can be achieved more elegantly than above.

Note that you still may have to force a mode-line update to always have
the right "foo" or "bar".

Regards,

Michael.