all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Spam despite spam header
@ 2013-12-11 16:13 Emanuel Berg
       [not found] ` <mailman.9259.1387055735.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-11 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have for some reason been getting spam lately, even
though the headers contain information it is spam. If
the below metadata indicates it is spam (as I think it
does), how do I tell Gnus *not* to put those messages
in my mail.misc group?

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Spam despite spam header
@ 2013-12-14 21:14 ` William G. Gardella
       [not found] ` <mailman.9259.1387055735.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: William G. Gardella @ 2013-12-14 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I have for some reason been getting spam lately, even
> though the headers contain information it is spam. If
> the below metadata indicates it is spam (as I think it
> does), how do I tell Gnus *not* to put those messages
> in my mail.misc group?

>> 	tests=[BAYES_50=0.8, HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_16=1.092, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001,
>> 	MIME_HTML_ONLY=0.723, RCVD_IN_PBL=3.335, UNPARSEABLE_RELAY=0.001]
>> 	autolearn=no

If you use `nnmail-split-methods' to split incoming mail, you could add
a rule such as '("spam" "^X-Spam-Flag: YES") to send spam to the
"spam" group, and make this group auto-expireable.  This is a sensible
thing to do if you or your mail provider uses a spam filter like
SpamAssassin that appends headers like the ones below.  Gnus can also be
configured to *teach* an external tool like spamassassin in the event it
misses something, but that's a bit more complicated (but see, e.g.,
(info "(gnus) SpamAssassin")).

--
Best,
WGG

* Re: Spam despite spam header
       [not found] ` <mailman.9259.1387055735.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-12-14 21:49   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-14 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"William G. Gardella" <wgg2@member.fsf.org> writes:

> If you use `nnmail-split-methods' to split incoming
> mail, you could add a rule such as '("spam"
> group, and make this group auto-expireable.  This is
> a sensible thing to do if you or your mail provider
> uses a spam filter like SpamAssassin that appends
> headers like the ones below.  Gnus can also be
> configured to *teach* an external tool like
> spamassassin in the event it misses something, but
> that's a bit more complicated (but see, e.g., (info
> "(gnus) SpamAssassin")).

Cool! I will do that (read the manual entry).

Yes, it works the way you describe:

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(("mail.spam" "^X-Spam-Flag: YES")
      ;; ...
        ("mail.misc" "") ))

Then create the spam group, for example with this
(perhaps this happens automatically):

(defun gnus-add-nnml-group (group)
  (interactive "s Mail group: ")
  (gnus-group-make-group group "nnml")
  (gnus-save-newsrc-file) )

On the file system: /home/user/Mail/mail/spam

--

@ 2013-12-15  4:06     ` W. Greenhouse
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2013-12-15  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[...]

> Cool! I will do that (read the manual entry).
>
> Yes, it works the way you describe:
>
> (setq nnmail-split-methods
>       '(("mail.spam" "^X-Spam-Flag: YES")
>       ;; ...
>         ("mail.misc" "") ))
>
> Then create the spam group, for example with this
> (perhaps this happens automatically):
>
> (defun gnus-add-nnml-group (group)
>   (interactive "s Mail group: ")
>   (gnus-group-make-group group "nnml")
>   (gnus-save-newsrc-file) )
>
> On the file system: /home/user/Mail/mail/spam

Awesome.  For future reference, a mail group will be created
automatically the first time Gnus needs to deliver mail there--whether
by the user manually copying a piece of mail there or by a splitting
rule. :)