all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs as a distraction free environment
@ 2014-01-23  7:22 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-23  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

People might find this useful:
http://bzg.fr/emacs-strip-tease.html

I'm quite happy living with no mode-line for a few months,
temporarily displaying it as a header is fine so far.

Enjoy,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs as a distraction free environment
@ 2014-01-23  8:54 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
       [not found] ` <mailman.12615.1390471200.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2014-01-23  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() Bastien <bzg@altern.org>
() Thu, 23 Jan 2014 08:22:17 +0100

   http://bzg.fr/emacs-strip-tease.html

You can use ‘rotatef’ to swap the values of two variables.

(defvar stashed-mode-line-format nil
  "Storage for `toggle-mode-line'.")

(defun toggle-mode-line ()
  "Toggle visibility of mode line."
  (interactive)
  (rotatef mode-line-format
           stashed-mode-line-format))

I don't know if this works w/ ‘defvar-local’ vars, however.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502

* Re: Emacs as a distraction free environment
@ 2014-01-23  9:08   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-23  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnu.org> writes:

> () Bastien <bzg@altern.org>
> () Thu, 23 Jan 2014 08:22:17 +0100
>
>    http://bzg.fr/emacs-strip-tease.html
>
> You can use ‘rotatef’ to swap the values of two variables.

Oh, good to know, thanks!

--

@ 2014-01-23  9:36     ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2014-01-23  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> () Bastien <bzg@altern.org> () Thu, 23 Jan 2014 08:22:17 +0100
>> http://bzg.fr/emacs-strip-tease.html
>> You can use ‘rotatef’ to swap the values of two variables.
>
> Oh, good to know, thanks!

Have you come across Writeroom mode, available on MELPA?  It provides
similar (but not identical) functionality.

atb

Glyn

* Re: Emacs as a distraction free environment
@ 2014-01-23 10:00 ` Rasmus
       [not found] ` <mailman.12615.1390471200.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rasmus @ 2014-01-23 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bastien,

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> People might find this useful:
> http://bzg.fr/emacs-strip-tease.html
>
> I'm quite happy living with no mode-line for a few months,
> temporarily displaying it as a header is fine so far.

Looks nice.

Would you consider making a minor-mode for this to toggle that could
be distributed in ELPA or Emacs?  I currently use writeroom-mode for
this, but your setup looks quite nice as well.

–Rasmus

--
I hear there's rumors on the, uh, Internets. . .

* Re: Emacs as a distraction free environment
@ 2014-01-23 11:59       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-23 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glyn Millington; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Glyn Millington <glyn.millington@gmail.com> writes:

> Have you come across Writeroom mode, available on MELPA?  It provides
> similar (but not identical) functionality.

I just checked.  Nice and very similar indeed.

Setting the margin instead of the fringe makes sense.

Not sure I will turn this into a mode, the real value of the
tutorial is in `hidden-mode-line-mode', `bzg-big-fringe-mode',
and `mode-line-header'...

--

       [not found] <mailman.12607.1390461766.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-01-23 13:13 ` henry atting
From: henry atting @ 2014-01-23 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> People might find this useful:
> http://bzg.fr/emacs-strip-tease.html
>
> I'm quite happy living with no mode-line for a few months,
> temporarily displaying it as a header is fine so far.
>
> Enjoy,

Great!
First time I see a perfect twin of my emacs (except the color theme).

henry

* RE: Emacs as a distraction free environment
@ 2014-01-23 17:14   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-01-23 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen, Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> You can use ‘rotatef’ to swap the values of two variables.
>
>  (rotatef mode-line-format stashed-mode-line-format))

Or as we say in Lisp...

(setq A  (prog1 B (setq B  A))) ; Swap A and B

@ 2014-01-23 21:38 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-01-23 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> I'm quite happy living with no mode-line for a few
> months, temporarily displaying it as a header is fine
> so far.

That Emacs has less distractions, and where it has, it
is configurable/programmable, is the number one reason
it had such an impact on my life. While programming
(and in general computer activity) is *interesting*
even in a MS Access interface or a GUI web browser, it
just isn't *enjoyable* to actually *do*. Emacs brought
those in synch.

As for the mode line, I agree it is a bit crowded by
default, though I suspect most people don't have a
problem with that. I configured my mode line
mode-by-mode in a way that I think now is obsolete
because there is a mode line package that should be
simple enough. Anyway, check out

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/mode_line.png

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Emacs as a distraction free environment
@ 2014-01-24  6:29   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-24  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/mode_line.png

Very nice, thanks!

--

@ 2014-01-24 12:15   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2014-01-24 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rasmus wrote:
> Bastien,
>
> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:
>
>> People might find this useful:
>> http://bzg.fr/emacs-strip-tease.html
>>
>> I'm quite happy living with no mode-line for a few months,
>> temporarily displaying it as a header is fine so far.
>
> Looks nice.
>
> Would you consider making a minor-mode for this to toggle that could
> be distributed in ELPA or Emacs?  I currently use writeroom-mode for
> this, but your setup looks quite nice as well.

Yeah, it does. I might steal^Hborrow some ideas for writeroom-mode...

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Emacs as a distraction free environment
@ 2014-01-24 12:31     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-24 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> writes:

> Yeah, it does. I might steal^Hborrow some ideas for
> writeroom-mode...

:)

One thing I just added is this:

(add-hook 'after-change-major-mode-hook 'hidden-mode-line-mode)

so that the mode-line is automatically hidden in all modes.
This requires the latest version of `hidden-mode-line-mode'.

--
 Bastien