all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* where is alt.religion.emacs?
@ 2014-11-07  9:27 H. Dieter Wilhelm
From: H. Dieter Wilhelm @ 2014-11-07  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

I don't understand the technical problems why alt.religion.emacs
vanished from gmane (spam posts?) but I'm wondering why it wasn't
resurrected by creating a mailing list to that end?

For example

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/114815898697665598016

isn't so funny and it is hard to edit there the posts with Emacs, what
could be done?

   Dieter
--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm

* Re: where is alt.religion.emacs?
@ 2014-11-07 17:40 ` Jorge Araya Navarro
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13169.1415385292.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jorge Araya Navarro @ 2014-11-07 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: dieter, help-gnu-emacs

alt.religion.emacs is about the Church of Emacs, right?

--
Enviado desde mi teléfono con K-9 Mail.

* Re: where is alt.religion.emacs?
@ 2014-11-07 18:34   ` H. Dieter Wilhelm
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13169.1415385292.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: H. Dieter Wilhelm @ 2014-11-07 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jorge Araya Navarro <elcorreo@deshackra.com> writes:

> alt.religion.emacs is about the Church of Emacs, right?

From the posts I read so far I think this mailing list was often
transcending even this encompassing subject. ;-)

     Dieter
--

@ 2014-11-15 20:25     ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]       ` <mailman.13911.1416249479.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-11-15 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter Wilhelm)
writes:

>> alt.religion.emacs is about the Church of Emacs,
>> right?
>
> From the posts I read so far I think this mailing
> list was often transcending even this encompassing
> subject. ;-)

Ha ha ha :)

But some technology people are religious in style. And
I say that in the negative, fundamentalistic sense. It
has come to the point when the technology isn't the
main thing anymore, but rather the set of rules - the
"right way" to do things... just as modern-day
fundamentalists chant their slogans (who cares about
God anymore when there are a zillion rules to obey at
all times, and infidels to kill).

Here, when we argue back-and-forth on lists and
newsgroups such as this there is often a tone which is
ice-cold and (seemingly) without any human touch.
While insults and obscene language should never be
made a virtue, perhaps newcomers should be made aware
somehow that the albeit insult-free but still ice-cold
tone, it is just the tone that a bunch of tech-people
use to communicate. Don't worry about it.

I say this because when I use the same tone here at
other places, there is always a big holaballo and that
has surprised me numerous times. People are just not
used to it.

--
underground experts united

* Re: where is alt.religion.emacs?
@ 2014-11-17 18:35       ` Jorge Araya Navarro
       [not found]       ` <mailman.13911.1416249479.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jorge Araya Navarro @ 2014-11-17 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Well, I often get surprised when the communication tone of some tech people isn't ice-cold! I can think on a
couple of developers that use a friendly tone, right now.

--
Pax et bonum.
Jorge Araya Navarro.

@ 2014-11-18  2:17         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-11-18  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jorge Araya Navarro <elcorreo@deshackra.com> writes:

> Well, I often get surprised when the communication
> tone of some tech people isn't ice-cold! I can think
> on a couple of developers that use a friendly tone,
> right now.

I never myself perceived the tone as ice-cold but I
have understood that's what it is. Either I'm used to
it or other people are deranged, and I'm normal. You,
reading this message, probably won't get angry from it
or feel threatened or whatever. And you shouldn't. But
I get a mail my boss or teacher right now, and I write
a letter expressing disagreement and omitting the
"Hello," and "yours truly" parts he might blow up
instantly and start yelling of things I don't know
where come from. That happened to me so many times so
now I always stop to think, "hey, this is a normal
person, so I can't use normal language"... And then
when things cool down they always say "Of course, I'm
happy to discuss this with you, just not used to the
way you approach me..." (?!) Beats me.

--

@ 2014-11-18  6:44           ` Jorge Araya Navarro
From: Jorge Araya Navarro @ 2014-11-18  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg writes:

> Jorge Araya Navarro <elcorreo@deshackra.com> writes:
>
>> Well, I often get surprised when the communication
>> tone of some tech people isn't ice-cold! I can think
>> on a couple of developers that use a friendly tone,
>> right now.
>
> I never myself perceived the tone as ice-cold but I
> have understood that's what it is. Either I'm used to
> it or other people are deranged, and I'm normal. You,
> reading this message, probably won't get angry from it
> or feel threatened or whatever. And you shouldn't. But
> I get a mail my boss or teacher right now, and I write
> a letter expressing disagreement and omitting the
> "Hello," and "yours truly" parts he might blow up
> instantly and start yelling of things I don't know
> where come from. That happened to me so many times so
> now I always stop to think, "hey, this is a normal
> person, so I can't use normal language"... And then
> when things cool down they always say "Of course, I'm
> happy to discuss this with you, just not used to the
> way you approach me..." (?!) Beats me.

Ha! Well, I don't abuse the ice-cold tone for emails and other electronic ways of communication, switching is
easy. And certainly some people may not get it but the Latin phrase "Pax et bonum" works as a "yours truly" or
a "Good Bye!".