all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cleaning up message headers in forwarded Gnus messages
@ 2015-01-04 15:59 Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-01-04 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

Gnus seems to make very cluttered forwarded messages. I thought the answer would be in the following:
    ;; cleanup forwarded messages
    (setq message-forward-ignored-headers ".*")
But I still end up with the following at the beginning of my forwarded content, as it displays in the gmail web interface (seems to be hidden in Gnus, but not for my non-Gnus recipients). (ignore the beginning >)

I THINK what I want is to just have my forwarded message content display the same as replied content would (i.e. few or no headers, no cryptic mime and content-type information). I mean, surely those Gnus users out there don't hit forward-recipients with what appears to be the default header list every time, right?

* Re: Cleaning up message headers in forwarded Gnus messages
       [not found] <mailman.17225.1420387201.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-01-05 21:33 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-01-05 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Gnus seems to make very cluttered forwarded
> messages. I thought the answer would be in the
> following: ;; cleanup forwarded messages (setq
> message-forward-ignored-headers ".*") But I still
> end up with the following at the beginning of my
> forwarded content, as it displays in the gmail web
> interface (seems to be hidden in Gnus, but not for
> my non-Gnus recipients). (ignore the beginning >)

Try this - first

    (setq message-forward-ignored-headers ".*")

then

    C-u M-x gnus-summary-mail-forward RET

The ARG will be 4, and you get an "inline" version,
which should be sensible to
`message-forward-ignored-headers', if we are to
believe the help:

    if ARG is nil, see `message-forward-as-mime' and `message-forward-show-mml';
    if ARG is 1, decode the message and forward directly inline;
    if ARG is 2, forward message as an rfc822 MIME section;
    if ARG is 3, decode message and forward as an rfc822 MIME section;
    if ARG is 4, forward message directly inline;
    otherwise, use flipped `message-forward-as-mime'.
    If POST, post instead of mail.
    For the "inline" alternatives, also see the variable
    `message-forward-ignored-headers'.

--
underground experts united