all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A problem with Magit
@ 2015-07-26 10:00 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-07-26 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I tried interactive rebase in Magit today, and ran into this (in the
magit-process buffer):

,----
| Waiting for Emacs...
| *ERROR*: Canceled by user
| Could not execute editor
`----

All I did was to swap to commits, so theoretically this should run
smoothly.

The only Magit-relevant setting in my init.el is (setq
magit-revert-buffers nil).

However, there is one (potential) problem: when I start Magit, I see
this:

,----
| Error (magit): Magit requires Git >= 1.9.4, you are using 1.9.1.
`----

I'm not sure whether this is relevant, but I include it here just in
case.  (Of course, I'm going to upgrade my Ubuntu ASAP.)

Where should I look for solution?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: A problem with Magit
@ 2015-07-26 14:13 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2015-07-26 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I tried interactive rebase in Magit today, and ran into this (in the
> magit-process buffer):
>
> ,----
> | Waiting for Emacs...
> | *ERROR*: Canceled by user
> | Could not execute editor
> `----

A shot in the dark: have you installed "with-editor"?  AFAICT magit
needs it, but it's a separate package now.

Regards,

Michael.

* Re: A problem with Magit
@ 2015-07-26 14:37 ` John Mastro
From: John Mastro @ 2015-07-26 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ,----
> | Error (magit): Magit requires Git >= 1.9.4, you are using 1.9.1.
> `----
>
> I'm not sure whether this is relevant, but I include it here just in
> case.  (Of course, I'm going to upgrade my Ubuntu ASAP.)

You can also install a new git from here:

https://launchpad.net/~git-core/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

I don't know whether that will fix your issue,
but seems worth a shot.

--
john

* Re: A problem with Magit
       [not found] <mailman.7409.1437904828.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-07-26 15:39 ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-07-26 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 3:30:31 PM UTC+5:30, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> However, there is one (potential) problem: when I start Magit, I see
> this:
>
> ,----
> | Error (magit): Magit requires Git >= 1.9.4, you are using 1.9.1.
> `----
>
> I'm not sure whether this is relevant, but I include it here just in
> case.  (Of course, I'm going to upgrade my Ubuntu ASAP.)

Some evidence that this is an issue:
https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/what-new-in-magit-2x
(near the start itself)

* Re: A problem with Magit
@ 2015-07-26 19:18   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-07-26 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-07-26, at 16:37, John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> wrote:

>> ,----
>> | Error (magit): Magit requires Git >= 1.9.4, you are using 1.9.1.
>> `----
>>
>> I'm not sure whether this is relevant, but I include it here just in
>> case.  (Of course, I'm going to upgrade my Ubuntu ASAP.)
>
> You can also install a new git from here:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~git-core/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
>
> I don't know whether that will fix your issue,
> but seems worth a shot.

I have so many things installed outside the Ubuntu package manager that
I'm afraid that when I install just one more, my Ubuntu will magically
turn into Gentoo.

;-)

(But thanks anyway.  A newer version of Ubuntu has Git 2.1.0, btw.)

--

@ 2015-07-26 19:19   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-07-26 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-07-26, at 16:13, Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> I tried interactive rebase in Magit today, and ran into this (in the
>> magit-process buffer):
>>
>> ,----
>> | Waiting for Emacs...
>> | *ERROR*: Canceled by user
>> | Could not execute editor
>> `----
>
> A shot in the dark: have you installed "with-editor"?  AFAICT magit
> needs it, but it's a separate package now.

Yes I have, but thanks anyway.

> Regards,
>
> Michael.

Best,

--

@ 2015-07-26 19:20   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-07-26 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-07-26, at 17:39, Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 3:30:31 PM UTC+5:30, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>> However, there is one (potential) problem: when I start Magit, I see
>> this:
>>
>> ,----
>> | Error (magit): Magit requires Git >= 1.9.4, you are using 1.9.1.
>> `----
>>
>> I'm not sure whether this is relevant, but I include it here just in
>> case.  (Of course, I'm going to upgrade my Ubuntu ASAP.)
>
> Some evidence that this is an issue:
> https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/what-new-in-magit-2x
> (near the start itself)

You mean uninstalling everything and installing Emacs back again?  It
didn't help.  OTOH, I found the reason, which was simple and stupid.

Best,

--

@ 2015-07-26 19:21 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-07-26 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I found the culprit: it was a good ol'editing conflict.  The two commits
I wanted to swap involved edits too close to each other.

Best,
mb