all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus question
@ 2016-01-25 23:27 Pietro
From: Pietro @ 2016-01-25 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I am not sure this is the right place for a question regarding gnus, if
there is a more specific mailing list for it please point me at that so
I can try to post there.

development but I haven't found anything for simple users.

I am wrestling with GNU to get my email splitting done, I am actually
trying to split the email coming from the this mailing list address and
this is how my .gnus.el looks like :

;; Split email
(setq nnimap-split-inbox '("INBOX"))
(setq nnimap-split-rule
      '(
	("INBOX.gnu" "^To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
	))

It is not working though and I am a bit lost, I am new to both emacs and
gnus. Any recommendations or suggestions ?

Thanks,
Pietro

* Re: Gnus question
@ 2016-01-26  3:12 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-01-26  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pietro <pulsarpietro@posteo.net> writes:

> I am not sure this is the right place for a question
> regarding gnus, if there is a more specific mailing
> list for it please point me at that so I can try to
> post there.

This is the right place, or one of many right places
because yes, there are Gnus lists/newsgroups.

One can use Gnus and in particular Gmane to find out.
And Gmane is actually the answer to your other
question as well!

You set it up like this:

    (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org"))

If you need help to get it up and running, check out
this file, and the other files in the same directory
(or ask here again, of course):

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/gnus/gnus-my.el

When you get it to work, run
`gnus-group-enter-server-mode' (hit `^' in the group
buffer), then find the Gmane line (should be
"nntp: news.gmane.org" or something similar) and hit
RET. Then make a search for "gnus":

    K     64: gmane.emacs.gnus.announce
    K    787: gmane.emacs.gnus.buildbot
    K   6351: gmane.emacs.gnus.commits
    K  12504: gmane.emacs.gnus.cvs
    K  82890: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
    K     30: gmane.emacs.gnus.patches
    K    262: gmane.emacs.gnus.semi
    K  13531: gmane.emacs.gnus.semi.japanese
    K      1: gmane.emacs.gnus.tutorial
       17939: gmane.emacs.gnus.user

Move point to the desired group and do
`gnus-browse-unsubscribe-current-group' (key: `u') to
subscribe (yes, the name is confusing).

> I am wrestling with GNU to get my email splitting
> done, I am actually trying to split the email coming
> from the this mailing list address and this is how
> my .gnus.el looks like [...]

And this is the whole thing with Gmane - you don't
have to split mails from mailing lists into
pseudo-newsgroups anymore! Gmane does that for you.
So in your group buffer you can have

    6     gmane.comp.shells.zsh.devel              463
    6     gmane.comp.shells.zsh.user                87
    6     gmane.emacs.devel                       2399
    6     gmane.emacs.erc.general
    3     gmane.emacs.gnus.user
    3     gmane.emacs.help                          18
    6     gmane.emacs.sources                       28
    6     gmane.emacs.w3m
    3     gmane.linux.debian.user                    1

and so on but you don't need to deal with any of the
subscription overhead and you don't have to do the
splitting stuff.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Gnus question
@ 2016-01-26  3:13 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-26  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pietro <pulsarpietro@posteo.net> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am not sure this is the right place for a question regarding gnus, if
> there is a more specific mailing list for it please point me at that so
> I can try to post there.

> development but I haven't found anything for simple users.

The gmane.emacs.gnus.user group is probably what you're looking for,
though posting questions on gnus.general is also pretty common.

> I am wrestling with GNU to get my email splitting done, I am actually
> trying to split the email coming from the this mailing list address and
> this is how my .gnus.el looks like :
>
> ;; Split email
> (setq nnimap-split-inbox '("INBOX"))
> (setq nnimap-split-rule
>       '(
> 	("INBOX.gnu" "^To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
> 	))
>

> It is not working though and I am a bit lost, I am new to both emacs and
> gnus. Any recommendations or suggestions ?

Those variables should be set on your nnimap server itself, as server
parameters, rather than at top level. See the info manual: (gnus)
Client-Side IMAP Splitting

That ought to get you there...

* Re: Gnus question
@ 2016-01-26  5:18 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2016-01-26  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pietro <pulsarpietro@posteo.net> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am not sure this is the right place for a question regarding gnus, if
> there is a more specific mailing list for it please point me at that so
> I can try to post there.

> development but I haven't found anything for simple users.

Others suggested gmane, but my experience is that posts to
gmane.emacs.gnus.user are ignored. So you'll better use the
gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup.

> I am wrestling with GNU to get my email splitting done, I am actually
> trying to split the email coming from the this mailing list address and
> this is how my .gnus.el looks like :
>
> ;; Split email
> (setq nnimap-split-inbox '("INBOX"))
> (setq nnimap-split-rule
>       '(
> 	("INBOX.gnu" "^To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
> 	))
>

> It is not working though and I am a bit lost, I am new to both emacs and
> gnus. Any recommendations or suggestions ?

There is no `nnimap-split-rule' variable on my Emacs. What I use is
`nnmail-split-fancy'. This is an example:

(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      '(|
        ("To" "help-gnu-emacs@gnu\\.org" "emacs-help")
	("From" "afriend@gmail\\.com" "Friends")
	("From" "anotherfriend@gmail\\.com" "Friends")
 	("X-Spam-Score" ".*[^-][1-9][0-9]*\\.[0-9]+" "Spam")
 	("X-Spam-Level" ".*\\*\\{2,\\}.*" "Spam")
 	("X-Spam-Warning" "spam" "Spam")
	("To" "ofv@wanadoo\\.es" "ofv")
        "MaybeSpam"))

If you need more information about how to use that variable, do

C-h v nnmail-split-fancy [ENTER]

or visit the node

(info "(gnus) Splitting Mail")

A trick: if you are reading this on Emacs, put the cursor after the
previous parenthesis and press C-x C-e

HTH

* Re: Gnus question
@ 2016-01-26 17:08   ` pulsarpietro
From: pulsarpietro @ 2016-01-26 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs-bounces+pulsarpietro=posteo.net

Thanks a lot, I have tried to use your file as my .gnus.el startup file,
nothing is working though.

As soon as I start gnus (M-x gnus) I get :

Error in ~/.gnus: Cannot open load file

Any thoughts ?

* Re: Gnus question
@ 2016-01-26 17:31     ` pulsarpietro
From: pulsarpietro @ 2016-01-26 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs-bounces+pulsarpietro=posteo.net

Oks, I kinda got it working, or at least not failing miserably, it is
just that it takes ages to "Checking new news".

* Re: Gnus question
@ 2016-01-26 19:12   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-01-26 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Others suggested gmane, but my experience is that
> posts to gmane.emacs.gnus.user are ignored.
> So you'll better use the gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup.

Gmane is more reliable, and more to the point, than
"old Usenet", in my experience. One example is the
tons of inactive and wierd.yada-yada.kamikazee groups
with zero posts that are everywhere on the Usenet
nntp.aioe.org server. You don't have to wade thru them
with Gmane!

OK:

    gmane.emacs.gnus.user

and

    gnu.emacs.gnus

are virtually the same in terms of information (or
should be the same) but in terms of technology
gmane.emacs.gnus.user is
a mailing-list-turn-into-a-newsgroup by means of
Gmane, while gnu.emacs.gnus is a Usenet newsgroup with
a gateway in between to synch with the mailing list!

You get gnu.emacs.gnus from a Usenet server, e.g.
nntp.aioe.org while you get gmane.emacs.gnus.user from
a Gmane server, e.g. news.gmane.org!

I heard they asked Simon Furman once if he prefered
Goldbug or Bumblebee. He said, "I prefer Bumblebee -
as Goldbug!" Do I prefer Usenet or Gmane? I prefer
Usenet - as Gmane!

--

@ 2016-01-26 19:15       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-01-26 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

pulsarpietro@posteo.net writes:

> Oks, I kinda got it working, or at least not failing
> miserably, it is just that it takes ages to
> "Checking new news".

OK, it is not difficult so it should just amount to
some detail that is jamming on the moon (to jam and
spoon).

What do you have in ~/.gnus? (if that is the Gnus
config file you are using)

--

@ 2016-01-26 21:57     ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2016-01-26 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:
>
>> Others suggested gmane, but my experience is that
>> posts to gmane.emacs.gnus.user are ignored.
>> So you'll better use the gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup.
>
> Gmane is more reliable, and more to the point, than
> "old Usenet", in my experience.

I use Gmane all the time. I'm posting this through Gmane. But, contrary
to all the other groups I participate, my posts sent to
gmane.emacs.gnus.user disappeared.

This is quite amusing, because Gmane and Gnus has the same maintainer.

[snip]

* Re: Gnus question
@ 2016-01-27  0:07       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-01-27  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> I use Gmane all the time. I'm posting this through
> Gmane. But, contrary to all the other groups
> I participate, my posts sent to
> gmane.emacs.gnus.user disappeared.

OK, wierd. I posted there yesterday and so did the OP
with no problems.

> This is quite amusing, because Gmane and Gnus has
> the same maintainer.

Probably he put some bugs in Gmane specifically with
respect to the Gnus newsgroups so as to nuance the
image of himself as infallible. But if he did, it
didn't work, because that would be brilliant!