On 2016-11-24 Thu 15:22 GMT-0800, Hong Xu wrote: > Currently in message-mode all cited texts are highlighted in the same > way. It would be nicer if the highlighting of different citation levels > can be easily customized. > Here is a patch and a screenshot. The default colors I chose may not be optimal -- but I guess I'll leave that part to professionals. Add support for different faces for different citation levels in message-mode. * message.el (message-font-lock-keywords) (message-font-lock-make-cited-text-matcher): Add support for different faces for different citation levels. The faces are defined in the faces named `message-cited-text-N': N of the Mth citation level will be M mod 4. (message-cited-text-1, message-cited-text-2) (message-cited-text-3, message-cited-text-4): Add customization for the faces of 4 different citation level. In the future, the number of faces may increase, as the code is flexible enough to automatically deal with that. (message-cite-level-function): Add a function to customize the determination of cite levels given the prefix of the cited text.