all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* desktop-read usage and syntax ::error, strange character
@ 2017-07-18 15:46 ken
From: ken @ 2017-07-18 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs List

For some reason, when booting after a crash, the desktop isn't loaded;
that is, the files which were loaded in the previous (crashed) session
aren't loaded again.  I suspected this was due to
"~/.emacs/.emacs.desktop.lock", so I deleted it.  Then I close emacs and
start it again, but still the desktop isn't loaded.

So then I try to load it by hand, ie, I run "M-x desktop-read"... this
yields the error: "eval-buffer: Symbol's value as variable is void: Î".
Yes, the last character is a capital "I" with a carot above it.  If,
from the "*scratch*" buffer I run (desktop-read "/home/user/.emacs.d/"),
I get exactly the same error message.

Anyone know what's going on?