Using Gnus with the user option pop-up-frames set to 'graphic-only, I observe the following behaviour: 1. Visit an article. 2. Make article window the sole window in its containing frame. 3. Type = (gnus-summary-expand-window). Expected result: The article's summary replaces the article in the frame's sole window. Actual result: The expected result plus an additional frame displaying the corresponding summary buffer. In other words, expanding the article window causes an extraneous frame to be created. I believe this is caused by a call to pop-to-buffer within save-window-excursion in the function gnus-article-read-summary-keys. Is the call to pop-to-buffer really necessary for the purpose of key lookup? Wouldn't changing the current buffer suffice, so as not to affect the window configuration in the first place? If so, please consider the attached patch which addresses this. The docstring of save-window-excursion even warns of the possibility of behaviour like the one I describe. The information gathered by gnus-bug follows my signature. Thanks, -- Basil Gnus v5.13 GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 9, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2017-12-05