all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* file and directory - same name
@ 2018-08-20 10:26 Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2018-08-20 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw

came upon a mode my-mode.el residing in directory my-mode.el.
Which looks confusing for me, as PATH/TO/my-mode.el might be seen as
indicating a file, while pointing to just a directory.

Any opinions? Maybe there are pros for this?

Thanks,
Andreas

* Re: file and directory - same name
@ 2018-08-20 12:25 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-08-20 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> came upon a mode my-mode.el residing in directory my-mode.el.
> Which looks confusing for me, as PATH/TO/my-mode.el might be seen as
> indicating a file, while pointing to just a directory.
>
> Any opinions? Maybe there are pros for this?

No pros, only cons. There is code in emacs that assumes that any
directory entry ending in '.el' is a file containing lisp code, even
when that directory entry is a directory, not a file. See eg
<https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32266>

Robert