Hello, This is a follow-up to the mails I sent to emacs-orgmode[1] and help-gnu-emacs[2]. tl;dr I believe font-lock-{append,prepend}-text-property do not handle anonymous faces correctly: they splice their attributes, producing lists mixing keyword attributes and named faces such as this one: (:strike-through t org-level-1) The patch I attach changes this to: ((:strike-through t) org-level-1) To summarize my findings: 1. With org.el from Emacs's master branch (commit 88c91f53df), in an Org buffer with a heading such as this one: * *foo* /bar/ _baz_ +quux+ foo (resp. bar and baz) show both the heading face and the bold (resp. italic and underline) decoration, whereas quux only shows the strike-through decoration, without the heading face. 2. C-u C-x = on quux says: > face (:strike-through t org-level-1) A hasty look at org.el showed that it used `font-lock-prepend-text-property`. I sent a trivial patch to emacs-orgmode which uses `font-lock-append-text-property` instead, although I wasn't sure that it was sound. With this patch, C-u C-x = says instead: > face (org-level-1 :strike-through t) … and quux shows both the org-level-1 foreground and the strike-through decoration. 3. On help-gnu-emacs, Stefan confirmed that my patch relies on undefined behavior. 4. Meanwhile, Nicolas applied it to the org-mode repository (commit 42abf5c69). I have now come to the conclusion that a patch such as the one I attached in this report might be more appropriate.