Hello, The function "reb-update-overlays" (in lisp/emacs-lisp/re-builder.el) displays matches in the whole of reb-target-buffer starting at (point-min) even when the region is active. In keeping with the behavior of commands like query-replace, replace-regexp and query-replace-regexp, I modified it so that when the region is active re-builder only displays matches in the active region. It's behavior is unchanged when the region is inactive. I think this change makes sense without disrupting the expectations of re-builder users. More generally, I think re-builder needs some work: 1. When the user quits re-builder, the point in reb-target-buffer is not restored correctly. 2. Without an active region, there should be an option to match forward or backward from reb-target-buffer's point instead of always matching from (point-min), with the ability to customize the default behavior. 3. re-builder's overlay system (or some modification of it) can be used by query-replace-regexp to show matches as the user types. I am waiting to sign the copyright papers from FSF (which I have applied for) before sending in these larger patches. Commit log entry: * lisp/emacs-lisp/re-builder.el (reb-update-overlays): Restrict re-builder matches to region when the region is active. Karthik Chikmagalur