all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
To: "Gerd Möllmann" <gerd.moellmann@gmail.com>
Cc: 56495@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#56495: 29.0.50; Support for debugging Emacs with LLDB
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 12:56:35 +0200	[thread overview]

    >> Iʼve got:
    >> lldb -v
    >> lldb-1300.0.42.3
    >> Swift version 5.5.2-dev

    Gerd> Thanks.

    Gerd> Looks like Apple's LLDB from the Xcode command-line tools.

    Gerd> Mine says "lldb version 14.0.6", and comes from "brew install llvm".
    Gerd> (Which I need for 'llvm-vscode', which I need for 'dap-mode', which I
    Gerd> need for debugging with LLDB inside of Emacs, which is because of
    Gerd> <known long story here>, and <another, shorter story here>).

I have lldb 13.0.1 from llvm here as well, but it gives me the same
error.

    Gerd> I need '--overwrite' because it allows me to reload the code in a
    Gerd> running LLDB.  Apple's LLDB seems to '--overwrite' by default, while
    Gerd> mine gives an error:

    Gerd>   cannot add command: user command exists and force replace not set

But if I 'command script import emacs_lldb' in my llvm lldb, I get no
errors. Maybe itʼs a version 14 thing.

    Gerd> \o/

🤷 indeed

    Gerd> Maybe I can somehow pythonese if '--overwrite' is supported or not.

I donʼt think itʼs a big deal, and lldb version dependent checks will
invariably be out of date. Maybe just stick in a comment?

Robert