Eli Zaretskii writes: > I'm still unconvinced, and I said already what will have a chance of > convincing me: a specific report about a problem this particular code > causes on a specific existing platform we support in Emacs 29 and with > a specific compiler. Similar (but not exactly the same) loops as this one have been shown to generate incorrect code in this thread. It's not a large leap for it to happen to this one, introducing subtle errors for a bit of code that is completely unnecessary (as demonstrated by it being optional), especially at higher optimization levels, where the compiler could easily produce better code than the assumption of a 'mov' would. Is the following trivial enough for 29?