all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* elpher SOCKS5 not working
@ 2024-08-22 14:36 Christopher Howard
From: Christopher Howard @ 2024-08-22 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I want to use elpher as my gemini client, but I also want to route my connections through my TOR SOCKS5 service, and this is not working. E.g., in IceCat I can use FoxyProxy to route my http(s) connections via SOCKS5 to the my local TOR service running on port 9050, and this works fine. Emacs and elpher seems to have the same capability but it is not working.

First, I set these variables through Custom:

```
 '(elpher-socks-always t)
 '(socks-server '("Default server" "socks" 9050 5))
```

But when I navigate to a gemini capsule, I get just this error:

```
---- ERROR -----

When attempting to retrieve gemini://gem.librehacker.com/:
Error initiating connection to server

----------------

Press 'u' to return to the previous page.
```

I tried also setting this variable, which seemed possibly relevant, but it didn't help:

```
 '(url-proxy-services '(("gemini" . "127.0.0.1:9050")))
```

BTW, the error happens immediately, so I know it isn't a connection timing out.

--
📛 Christopher Howard
🚀 gemini://gem.librehacker.com

בראשית ברא אלהים את השמים ואת הארץ