all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ansi-term under bash
@ 2002-04-19  0:13 Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2002-04-19  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

In GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2002-03-20 on mosaics.wustl.edu
configured using `configure  --prefix=/usr/local'
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: nil

Hi,
I recently saw a posting on gnu.emacs.help saying that ansi-term
crashed.  I can reproduce this, so I thought I'd send the bug report
in case others hadn't.

emacs -q --no-site-file

M-x ansi-term

(By default it prompts me for shell as /bin/tcsh;  instead I choose
/bin/bash)

When the shell appears, if I do "ls", the first three lines of the
listing of my home directory appear, but then emacs goes into 100%
CPU, and is unresponsive to Ctrl-g, or closing the window with the
window manager.

Stephen

* Re: ansi-term under bash
@ 2002-04-20 17:28 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-04-20 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

    When the shell appears, if I do "ls", the first three lines of the
    listing of my home directory appear, but then emacs goes into 100%
    CPU, and is unresponsive to Ctrl-g, or closing the window with the
    window manager.

Can you run this under GDB and see what Emacs is doing?  Please look
at etc/DEBUG which has special instructions for situations of this
kind.

* Re: ansi-term under bash
@ 2002-04-24 10:30   ` Harry Kuiper
From: Harry Kuiper @ 2002-04-24 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

rms@gnu.org (Richard Stallman) writes:

>     When the shell appears, if I do "ls", the first three lines of the
>     listing of my home directory appear, but then emacs goes into 100%
>     CPU, and is unresponsive to Ctrl-g, or closing the window with the
>     window manager.
>
> Can you run this under GDB and see what Emacs is doing?  Please look
> at etc/DEBUG which has special instructions for situations of this
> kind.

This problem is already solved by Daiki Ueno about a week ago.  See
relevant postings in this group.  (Sorry, no links).

--
Harry Kuiper                 hkuiper@xs4all.nl
Haarlem, The Netherlands