all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* scroll-left question
@ 2002-11-07 10:25 Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-11-07 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

What can be the reason(s) for the following (IMHO mysterious) behavior:

If i call interactively scroll-left (means by hitting C-x <) then all is
working fine, i.e. window/buffer is scrolled horiz.

But if i call it from program (simulated by doing M-: (scroll-left) RET) then
nothing happens.

And even more mysteriously this behavior is only true for some windows but for
other windows not, i.e. in some windows the behavior is identical regardless
if C-x < or M-: (scroll-left) RET...

It's not so easy to explain here all the differences between these window in
my elisp-application, therefore i made the approach first asking for possible
reasons for this behavior and the hopefully recognizing for myself if one of
the reasons applies to my elisp-application...

many thanks in advance!
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: scroll-left question
@ 2002-11-07 10:30 ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-11-07 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07 Nov 2002, Klaus Berndl wrote:

Forgot to mention:
Using NTEmacs 21.2.1

--

@ 2002-11-07 12:20   ` Friedrich Dominicus
From: Friedrich Dominicus @ 2002-11-07 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Berndl <Klaus.Berndl@sdm.de> writes:

> On 07 Nov 2002, Klaus Berndl wrote:
>
> Forgot to mention:
> Using NTEmacs 21.2.1
I don't think that make any-difference

> >  What can be the reason(s) for the following (IMHO mysterious) behavior:
> >
> >  If i call interactively scroll-left (means by hitting C-x <) then all is
> >  working fine, i.e. window/buffer is scrolled horiz.
The reasons seems to be obvious for me. C-x < runs in the current buffer.

> >  But if i call it from program (simulated by doing M-: (scroll-left) RET)
> >  then nothing happens.
Well that runs in the minibuffer, how should it scroll another window?

> >  And even more mysteriously this behavior is only true for some windows but
> >  for other windows not, i.e. in some windows the behavior is identical
> >  regardless if C-x < or M-: (scroll-left) RET...
Well this is *really* strange, and I do not have any explanation for
that.

Regards
Friedrich

* Re: scroll-left question
@ 2002-11-07 17:48     ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-11-07 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07 Nov 2002, Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

>  Klaus Berndl <Klaus.Berndl@sdm.de> writes:
>
> > On 07 Nov 2002, Klaus Berndl wrote:
> >

> > >  What can be the reason(s) for the following (IMHO mysterious) behavior:
> > >
> > >  If i call interactively scroll-left (means by hitting C-x <) then all
> > >  is working fine, i.e. window/buffer is scrolled horiz.
>  The reasons seems to be obvious for me. C-x < runs in the current buffer.
>

> > >  But if i call it from program (simulated by doing M-: (scroll-left)
> > >  RET) then nothing happens.
>  Well that runs in the minibuffer, how should it scroll another window?

Definitely not.

Even tried:

,----
| (save-selected-window
|   (select-window (get-buffer-window
|                   (get-buffer "buffer/window-to-scroll")))
|   (scroll-left 5))
`----

which operates definitively in the right window but same effect, means NO
effect, means NO scrolling to left!

> > >  And even more mysteriously this behavior is only true for some windows
> > >  but for other windows not, i.e. in some windows the behavior is
> > >  identical regardless if C-x < or M-: (scroll-left) RET...
>  Well this is *really* strange, and I do not have any explanation for
>  that.

IMHO the above is strange too!

Ciao,
Klaus

--

@ 2002-11-10  9:31       ` Alexander Koptelov
From: Alexander Koptelov @ 2002-11-10  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Recently I had mentioned this too. And after many experiments I've found out
that the following is working:

(setq current-prefix-arg <as-much-as-you-want>)
(call-interactively (scroll-left))

But, anyway, this is wery strange =\

--
Alexander Koptelov
Institute for System Programming, Russian Academy of Sciences