all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* what was the name of that file I just renamed?
@ 2003-01-14 21:34 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-01-14 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

What was the name of that file I just renamed with R in dired?  It's
not in any minibuffer history list.  It's not in view-lossage.  Not in
*Messages*. For all I know it's in my mom's drawers.

If this were bash a mere ^P would see what the heck its old name was.
But with emacs, it's like in the sheredder, ma'am.  Great.  Now what,
directory bit dump?

Suggested solution: one would expect to pull back a line of lisp with
C-x ESC ESC, it would look like (dired-do-rename "old" "new")... ok
not that line but something similar.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: what was the name of that file I just renamed?
@ 2003-01-26 15:49 Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2003-01-26 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson wrote:

    A misty fantasy world giving the newly converted former MSDOS user
    feeling of "hmmm, this new emacs world is indeed powerful after
    all"
    when infact it was a dired dream.

In the latest CVS Emacs (21.3.50) this is fixed.  You get the message:

Change in Dired buffer undone.
Actual changes in files cannot be undone by Emacs.

in the echo area.  So no false illusions any longer, not even for
people who do not know the Emacs manual by heart.

I know that this does not happen in Emacs-21.2, but since it happens
in CVS, I assume it will in a future released version.

Sincerely,

Luc.